Updating fields with scripts

06-24-2020 04:25 AM
gabrielriley
New Contributor III

Hello my fellow ESRI users,

I'm trying to find the best way to solve a redundant problem with using collector and external tables.

Our wastewater dept. has manholes (feature class) it inspects everyday and updates data in an external table attached (Manhole Inspection forms) to the feature class. They also update a couple of fields in the feature class as well (inspector and inspection date).

I'm trying to find the best way to copy over some of the information from the external table (Manhole Inspections forms), such as inspector and inspection date, to the feature class so they don't have to enter data in twice and save them some time and effort.

What is the best way you would recommend that be carry out? (Script, sql, etc..)

As always Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Brian_Laws
Occasional Contributor

Hi Gabriel,

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but the way I update features from a table is using the Attribute Assistant in ArcMap.  We have fire hydrant inspections that go into a related table off of the hydrant feature class, and I usually use Attribute Assistant before I reconcile & post the edits to the parent version of our database.  This updates certain attributes that I have chosen on the hydrants with information collected during  the inspection.  There is a bit of a learning curve to Attribute Assistant and it is a more manual process than running a script, but once you get the hang of it and get everything set up right then it doesn't take long to update the attributes of the feature class.

Good luck!

Brian

0 Kudos