Updating Desktop layers from Collector field data

10-06-2015 06:14 AM
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

If I was to gather a new GPS point of a hydrant in the field using Collector, how do I add that point and field data to my local data base? I'm looking for a solution that was/is similar to when you would check data back in when using ArcPad. I want my local .mxd file to be updated with the new information from the field, but I do not want my local layers being pulled from the cloud. We are not always connected to the internet and when we are it is slow. I was told this could be done by going to "My Hosted Services" and that map change services would update the field changes to the local drive. This was called "change management". I don't see anywhere under "My Hosted Services" that I can complete this task and I can't find anything termed "change management" that relates to this topic.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Travis,

The best option would be to use ArcGIS Server.  You can publish the data as an ArcGIS Server service, create a web map using this service, and then collect/edit features for this service using Collector.  As soon as an edit is made, the data in your local database is updated immediately.

TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Jake,

I appreciate the reply. That may be the best solution, but is much beyond our capabilities and budget. Thanks though.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You can create a local copy of the hosted feature service by adding the service to ArcMap from 'My Hosted Services'.  Then you can perform a delete/append of the local feature class, updating it with features from the hosted feature service.

TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

It's starting to be apparent to me that if you want to use the Collector app to gather field data then you are going to have to use the featured service layer locally if you want any updates from Collector, or as you suggested purchase Arc Server. I understand what you are saying about creating a local "copy", but if I have 10 layers that I want to update locally this becomes impractical. I'm not sure what the solution is, but there doesn't seem to be a convenient way of updating the local data base. In ArcPad you could check data in and save it locally. Seems like they could easily do the same thing, but pull it from the featured service layer. It doesn't seem like that would be very hard for ESRI to resolve, but I'm gathering they do not want to do that. Maybe I'm old school, but I want the "master" file/layr on my local machine. Plus, I'm in southeastern, rural Ohio and work for a rural drinking water utility. We don't have the greatest of internet connections here. I'm starting to think that Collector may not be the best solution for rural utilities/areas where access to the internet isn't so prevalent.

Thanks for your replies, Jake. I appreciate you taking the time to offer a solution.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

A great feature of Collector for ArcGIS is the ability to collect features with no internet connection.  More information can be found in the below link:

Take maps offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I have read that. Thanks.

0 Kudos
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Jake, if I choose to add a layer from File, Add Data, Add Data from ArcGIS Online in ArcGIS 10.3, is that layer completely locked out from any edits within Desktop? If I start Editor and I click on that layer to begin editing the "Ok" button is grayed out. Can I not add any additional information to the attributes?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You will need to create a local copy by right-clicking on the Group Layer the layer is contained in > Edit Features > Create Local Copy for Editing.

screen1.PNG

After you are finished editing, you will then need to synchronize your edits:

screen2.PNG

0 Kudos
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Jake, is there another license that you need in order to sync it back to the server? It said something to the affect when I tried to sync it back and then ArcGIS encountered a hard crash and closed before I could read it.

Your last message was really helpful. Thanks.

0 Kudos