Tracking editors using Collector while offline?

08-03-2015 07:50 AM
AmyWork1
New Contributor

I followed the steps listed here to track, where collectors went:  Track where collectors went—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Can I collect the tracks / locations of where collector was being used what individuals are in an offline mode collecting? Or does this feature only work when people are in a connected environment?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

tracking will work offline but the track will not show up in your web map until the field user syncs their edits.

Russ

0 Kudos
CharliePhilbrick1
New Contributor III

Russ, will you please elaborate on the notion that pts collected offline via a hosted tracklog will show in maps once users' have synced their data?

That's not the behavior I've observed. My users seem to be able to collect tracklog pts offline only manually. The automation of the tracklog and the ability to track one's own progress across a landscape in near real time, while offline, are very important to our organization. 

Thanks,

CP

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

So when you have offline data you need to sync your data back to the service bc its all stored locally on the device. Once it is synced back the service is updated and you will see the logs in the maps/apps that show it. 

You need to publish a specific tracking layer to capture the "breadcrumb trail" and configure the web map to leverage the tracking layer. check out the doc here: Track where collectors go—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos