Some users cannot sync attachments in Collector

11-08-2016 01:23 PM
DanKoch
New Contributor II

Some of my AGOL users cannot sync photos that they have attached to points using Collector in offline mode.  Attributes sync without problem.  Attaching photos works when not in Offline mode.  Sync does not throw an error.

Feature Layer is hosted in our organizational AGOL account.

Success in syncing attachments does not seem to be related to role (user or publisher).  

Preferred attachment size is set to Large.

Collector version is 10.4.0

Any ideas?  I have a number of internal staff and contractors performing field work which will be done without cell reception.

Thanks,

Dan

Tags (1)
4 Replies
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

I have this same question and wonder if there is any resolution? I have a staff member that collected about 35 points/photos using Collector while offline. The point feature layer is hosted in AGOL. The sync of the ~35 points/attributes worked, but the photos didn't sync. He's going to manually save the photos one by one to his phone and then we plan to try this process: How To: Access offline edits from Collector for ArcGIS directly from an Android or iOS device 

Next time it sounds like we should set up/publish/host the point feature layer on our web server to avoid this problem?

0 Kudos
DanKoch
New Contributor II

Do you have editor-tracking enabled on the layer?  This was our issue and is related to the following bug

• BUG-000096417: Photo attachments are not synchronized from Collector for ArcGIS (iOS) if Editor Tracking is enabled on the ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer, and has restricted access enabled, and the user attempting to perform sync is not an Administrator in the Organization.

However, ownership-based access is not enforced for admins so a work-around is to create a custom role with at least on admin privilege assigned.  Role-type is determined by the highest level of privilege for the role. We added the ability to View All Members but kept all other privileges the same as our standard level 2 users.   

Extra thanks is due to Margaret at ESRI Support Services who helped me work through the issue.

0 Kudos
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the info Dan. See attached/below a screenshot of the settings we have for the Feature Layer in question. The staff member doing the syncing is not an administrator. 

Do you think it's worth me unchecking the "Keep track of who created and last updated features" option (and therefore, for "What features can editors edit", changing that to "Editors can edit all features"...) and seeing if the staff member can now sync their photos? Or do you think it's worth us creating a custom role for that staff person?

Feature layer settings, sync, collector

0 Kudos
DanKoch
New Contributor II

I would turn off the editor tracking and see if that addresses the issue.  For our workflows we decided to create the custom role because we liked having a user/time-date stamp associated with edits and wanted to ensure that users wouldn't edit features created by other field staff.  There are obviously other ways to track the former and the latter may not be relevant for your workflow.  

0 Kudos