Restricting Offline Editing Capabilities - Update Attributes Only

05-20-2014 08:36 AM
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
I want to give a field crew an offline wifi only tablet to populate attribute data of existing point features in the field with the Collector app.  I don't want them to be able to delete the points, just update attributes, and attach photos.  Online this is no problem, but in order to go offline it is my understanding that all layers in the map must have full editing control.  This opens up the ability for someone to accidentally delete or add points. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds here?  Everything is hosted in AGOL.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III
I want to give a field crew an offline wifi only tablet to populate attribute data of existing point features in the field with the Collector app.  I don't want them to be able to delete the points, just update attributes, and attach photos.  Online this is no problem, but in order to go offline it is my understanding that all layers in the map must have full editing control.  This opens up the ability for someone to accidentally delete or add points. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds here?  Everything is hosted in AGOL.

Thanks

When you create the service and configure the Feature Access, just check Query, Sync & Update under the operations allowed. Users will only be able to update the attributes.
0 Kudos
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
Thank you for your suggestion.  I tried that already, and it still gives you an error that you can't take the map offline because it doesn't have proper editing privileges.
0 Kudos
JessicaGooch1
Occasional Contributor
Hi -

I believe that in order to collect attribute info using disconnected editing you have to give full edit rights (including geometry!!!  eeek!).  I am running in to that currently as I have an intern who is out in the field using collector to change attributes.  He has to have full editing rights.  If this is not correct, someone please let me know...I would love to have only attributes be able to be edited using disconnected editing.  Budget constraints does  not allow for our tablets to be connected except for wi-fi.

-Jessica
0 Kudos
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
Yes this is what we are seeing too.  Without full editing control of all operational layers in your map, it wont let you take it offline.  ESRI do you know when this will be resolved?  In the next update?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
We are aiming to get this in towards the end of the year.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
SarahMoussadji
Occasional Contributor

Hi Russell,

Any news on whether or not this will be implemented in the next release of Collector? I believe there is one more scheduled for 2014...I tried to search for a 'what's coming in Collector' document, but I couldn't track anything down.

If you could confirm whether or not restricted editing capability was implemented, that would be great.

Thanks,
Sarah

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The next update for the app will be 10.3 on iOS and Android and that will be out early next year. This release will bring support for restricted editing capabilities like update attributes only. This update will also bring support for editing versioned data in a disconnected mode when the data is coming from a 10.3 server and we will also have support for relationships.

Russ

ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

Will any of this be ported back to earlier versions?

Tom

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Nope the restricted feature service capabilities will be restricted to 10.3 ArcGIS Server and hosted feature services coming from ArcGIS Online. It will also require 10.3 Collector to make use of these capabilities. The 10.2.7 release of Collector blocks the download of maps that do not meet the full editing functionality.

0 Kudos