required fields not holding in Collector

Jump to solution
05-20-2019 02:22 PM
EmilyZeilberger
New Contributor II

Hi there. I have multiple fields in a hosted feature service set to 'not Allow Null' as I want them to be required in Collector. However, in Collector I don't have to input anything for the fields and the point saves. I have done some research on this but cannot find a solution! Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Emily,

In order to reset the non-nullable attribute fields inside editing templates for the layers in the hosted feature services to show as required fields in Collector, there is a tool we developed called 'Reset Required Fields' that's located inside a toolbox that can be used inside ArcGIS Pro. 

The toolbox can be downloaded from https://github.com/Esri/collector-tools.

Once the zip file is download and extracted, inside the 'Catalog' window in ArcGIS Pro under Toolboxes > right-click > Add Toolbox > browse to the CollectorUtils_Pro.tbx toolbox inside the Pro folder. There you'll see the 'Reset Required Fields' tool. 

Here is more information about this tool as well - https://github.com/Esri/collector-tools/blob/master/CollectorUtils/pro/ResetRequiredFields.md

Thanks

-Kevin

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Emily,

In order to reset the non-nullable attribute fields inside editing templates for the layers in the hosted feature services to show as required fields in Collector, there is a tool we developed called 'Reset Required Fields' that's located inside a toolbox that can be used inside ArcGIS Pro. 

The toolbox can be downloaded from https://github.com/Esri/collector-tools.

Once the zip file is download and extracted, inside the 'Catalog' window in ArcGIS Pro under Toolboxes > right-click > Add Toolbox > browse to the CollectorUtils_Pro.tbx toolbox inside the Pro folder. There you'll see the 'Reset Required Fields' tool. 

Here is more information about this tool as well - https://github.com/Esri/collector-tools/blob/master/CollectorUtils/pro/ResetRequiredFields.md

Thanks

-Kevin

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Worked great! Thank you.

DanMakridakis
New Contributor III

You're a saint! I've been trying to figure out the required fields thing for days! You're github documentation led me to the Esri tech document for resetting them on ArcGIS Server Feature Services and it's exactly what I was looking for.

FAQ: Reset Required Fields for ArcGIS Server Feature Services 

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kevin,

If I use this tool on a hosted feature layer that has an editable View derived from it, will the effect "trickle down" through to the View so that my users are actually required to complete the required fields when editing the View layer?

Thank you,

Erica 

Erica
0 Kudos
R_Millman
New Contributor II

Out of interest - is this something that is going to be fixed at some future point or is the github tool the only fix for this error?

Thanks,
Rob

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @erica_poisson 

Sorry for the delay, I will check to make sure, but I doubt that running Reset Required Fields for the main hosted feature service item will update any associate views as well, since those are separate feature service items, despite being related to the source FS. The tool requires an item id being added as input prior to running, so therefore it's likely that each item id for the views will need to be ran separately. 

How many views are you working with?

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @KevinBurke,

Thanks for the reply. I did try running the tool on the main hosted feature layer, and it did not work for the Views. I can try running it on my individual view layers to see if that helps. There are 5 view layers total, but only 1 of them is editable. The remainder are either public or have a view definition set to only show certain features for overlay visualization in Collector. 

Will there be any downsides to running the tool? Could it potentially corrupt the view in some way?

Thanks,

Erica 

Erica
0 Kudos