Refresh Interval

07-26-2016 03:47 PM
TonyGroeneveld1
New Contributor

I have a map that has layers that refresh every minute, to allow users to see changes made by other users. This causes data loss when an edit session goes over a minute in length.

For example user clicks on a line and starts editing the attributes. While they are doing this the layer refreshes. The user clicks on another attribute, makes a change clicks done. All the previous attribute changes are lost.

To me this seems like a bug with collector.

I have changed the refresh interval to 5 minutes to get around this problem.

7 Replies
JosephMootz1
Occasional Contributor

We just discovered the same issue and are going to try the same work around of 5 minutes to see how it works. We've been using Collector for over two years and never noticed it before. However, most of our users use an offline version of a similar map in which the issue doesn't appear since you have to sync to get the updates to the features. I agree this seems to be a bug with collector and will report it as so when I get the chance.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Which platform do you test, iOS/Android/WIndows? Can you share the map? I tried a map but I haven't been able to reproduce yet. You can add Collector4ArcGIS account into a group and share the group. 

-Morgan

0 Kudos
JosephMootz1
Occasional Contributor

We use iOS on iPads. Unfortunately, we cannot share the map. Our users noticed this issue in the field. To reproduce the problem we followed these steps:

1. Set up a map with an editable layer.

2. Set the refresh interval of the editable layer to 1minute.

3. Open the map in Collector and add a feature.

4. In Collector, edit the feature then:

a. Change a value of a field in the feature and press Done. Do NOT press submit.

b. Wait until the minute on the time on the iPad increments by 1.

c. Change a value of another field and press Done, the value of the previously edited field reverts to its original value.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Joseph,

Thank you for detailed steps. I can reproduce the issue now. I will create an issue for the developer to look at. 

-Morgan

JosephMootz1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Morgan.

By the way I tried it on an Android device and because of the different steps involved in changing field values, I did not have the same issue. Thanks again.

--Joe

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI, I can reproduce the issue with editing existing feature. I can't reproduce the issue with adding new feature. 

0 Kudos
JosephMootz1
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I think that makes sense. I think what is happening is that when the map is refreshed, the data from the existing feature on the host server is being filled in to the edit form fields. In the case of adding a new feature, the feature does not exist on the host server until after submitting, so there is no data to overwrite on the edit form fields.

0 Kudos