Read-only attributes?

01-09-2014 07:27 PM
VishApte
Esri Contributor
Hi All,

I have a query from a client who intends to use Collector App for iOS to perform the field data survey. The collectible feature layer has number of attributes that field person should be able to view but not update in the field. e.g. Pole has Owner attribute that field person should not be able to update? By default, collector allows every attribute to be edited. Is it possible to configure Collector for ArcGIS to mark certain attributes as readonly? Something similar to ArcGIS for Windows Mobile Project Centre functionality.

Regards,
Vish
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
When you create your map you can set if each field is editable or not. Then when you use the map in Collector, only those fields you specified as editable can be edited. For details on setting if a field is editable or not, see http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#/Configure_pop_ups/010q0000004m000000/.
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
VishApte
Esri Contributor
Hi Kylie,

Thanks for your reply.

What I find is, even if the attributes are marked read-only in the feature service, Editing in Collector does not hide them automatically in the Edit form thus confusing the user. However, the data does not actually update for the read-only attributes. The update simply ignores user entered values. It will be nice if Collector app automatically filters out read-only attributes from the Edit form.

Regards,
Vish
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
If you open up the web map and configure the popup you can disable the attributes to not show up in the edit attribute by unchecking "edit".

Russ
0 Kudos
VishApte
Esri Contributor
Thanks Russ.
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III
I have attempted what was mentioned above.  So I have opened my map in my ArcGIS.com portal, and then unchecked both Display and Edit for most of my attributes (see jpg attached).  I have then checked display and edit on just two of them. Lastly, I have check one attribute to just be display. Based on the above thread the other attributes won't show up in Collector when a user starts editing.  However that is not what I get in collector, the field user is seeing all the attributes (see attached image).

Another strangeness about this process is that though my layer names show up correctly in the layer list tool in collector (e.g. Tier II Short, Tier II Long), in the edit app the names are note reflected as have been set up in ArcGIS.com (Tier II Facilities). This can be seen in the attached images.

Any ideas would be great!
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share the web map with me and I can take a look at it.

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
Michaelvan_Eggermond
New Contributor
Hi Frank,

Just now I encounter exactly the same issue. The attributes are not displayed in viewing mode, but in editing mode they are. This can indeed be confusing, and creating a separate file for just this makes no sense.

Did you manage to find a solution?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III
Sorry I never did get back to this issue, so I don't believe I have yet come up with a fix for it.  I will be interested if you find something.
0 Kudos