Select to view content in your preferred language

Photo size limiting?

Jump to solution
05-04-2014 08:38 PM
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III
I think with Collector we're going to run into the whole photo size attachment issue.

Mobile it was an issue.  

I just noticed a photo attachment was 1.6MB.   That's going to cause grief with multiple photos and 100s of features.

I do like how you don't download attachments unless you click on photo in feature popup... unlike arcgis mobile which by default had download attachments ticked.

Is there any way of limiting photo size in Collector?
Tags (2)
38 Replies
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't know how hard it is to allow the users to choose which camera app to use in Collector, maybe an option in Collector settings? I am not a IOS developer, I don't really know if it's possible or not.Russell Roberts

MichaelDavis3
Regular Contributor

This should be very possible.  We use Collector as well as our own custom apps and have found that full size images will quickly make checkout databases too large to download.

Our solution in custom apps has been to re-size the attached photo to 1024x1024 max size and store the full size original photo in a folder in the app's document directory.  I'd think a similar workflow could be used for Collector.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

iOS does not give the option to choose a default camera to be launched by the app only Android has this option.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You may already know this, so please forgive me if you do.

If you have a third party app that will allow for downsizing the photo taken by the smart device, then use it to take the photo and store it to the device. After the photo is stored to the device have the operator attach the photo from the library; this could be a work around for the time being. It has worked for us, so far...

0 Kudos
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor

In Android, on my device in the camera app settings I just set the default picture size to a small size and then it takes the pictures very fast in Collector and saves a small image.

0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Regular Contributor

Peter,

At Esri UC the photo size limiting on iOS was a common topic. Esri have said that this will be released in early Q4 this year.

Cheers

GOrdom

HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

This is definitely something my business is desperately waiting for. We are currently having major sync issues because of attachment sizes. Come on Esri lets get this fixed

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Photo size limiting is planned to be in our Nov update.

Cheers

Russ

MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

Excellent!!!!!

0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, Excellent....BTW In the Nov update is the EXIF issue being dealt with as well?