Offline multiple layers

Jump to solution
01-16-2015 02:33 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have a map with about 15 layers on it that are all part of a single feature service.  All point to a single sql db.  I can see and edit all of them in a webmap no problem.

When I try to download the map in Collector I get this error

"The map failed to download with the message: Failed to create replica.  Multiple layers are referencing a dataset, which is not supported"

Also note the download stays in the android notification bar forever

Tried using ArcGIS Online and Portal 10.3 (and server 10.3).

I made a new map with just one of these layers and it works fine.  I am pointing to the exact same Feature Service just using a /10.

I can find nothing in the help or here on this.

I think it means I can only have one editable layer in a map when going offline.  But that seems strange.  Not a very useful app if I can only edit one thing.

Is there any documentation on this?  I would like to know how to work around it or what all my limits are.  Do I need to publish one layer per feature service (and if I do can I add multiple feature services to a map then download) or have one feature service and the rest map service?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

To answer what I think is your main question about having multiple layers coming from a single feature service and/or multiple separate feature services in a web map and being able to take them offline- Yes this is supported.

Their is a limitation where you cannot have multiple layers in a feature services referencing a single feature class in the database. The error you are seeing is one coming from the server and you would see it if you try to create a replica through the REST endpoint on the service. You will need to have a feature class for each layer in your map document and then when you publish up the feature service that will have multiple layers in it but they will all have a separate data source.

Hope this helps you out.

Russ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

To answer what I think is your main question about having multiple layers coming from a single feature service and/or multiple separate feature services in a web map and being able to take them offline- Yes this is supported.

Their is a limitation where you cannot have multiple layers in a feature services referencing a single feature class in the database. The error you are seeing is one coming from the server and you would see it if you try to create a replica through the REST endpoint on the service. You will need to have a feature class for each layer in your map document and then when you publish up the feature service that will have multiple layers in it but they will all have a separate data source.

Hope this helps you out.

Russ

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I found deep inside the map that 2 layers were accessing the same FC but with different definition queries.  It works now.  Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

no sweat.

0 Kudos
ClarkLangridge
Occasional Contributor II

*beating head against desk*.  Yet another way ESRI's new sync is inferior to the MobileServer sync system.  I have an application written in the Runtime 10.1 SDK that has 6 layers that all reference the same FC in order to get the symbology to work the way the client wants.  Now I have to figure out how to do it all over again.

ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

I'm dealing with the exact same issue. This is a problem because there might be a certain subset of that feature class I would like the user to be able to interact with (click to view popups) but not editable. If I were to just symbolize those features within the editable layer, how do I then guarantee that the end user cannot change attributes. Basically, this is for the purpose of having reference VS active layers/records.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Would the new database views work for this?  Normally it is talked about for aces rights but maybe it will work for this.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/collector/field-mobility/control-access-to-data-in-collect...

0 Kudos
ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

Thanks for this but this won't work for me at the moment. We are still on 10.3.1 without portal. The data was added through the web, directly into our ArcGIS Server instance. It looks like I wont have this functionality until we upgrade our internal infrastructure.

0 Kudos
CharliePhilbrick1
New Contributor III

Mr. Roberts, can you confirm that the one feature layer to one feature class limitation still exists with newer versions of ArcGIS server (we're on 10.6, I believe), AGO, etc?

I have been hoping to publish a single non-editable feature service from a single feature class that I would then be able to use in a dozen or more feature layers for offline use in Collector. 

If I go ahead and publish one feature service from the one FC, but create many layers within that service at the time of publishing, will I be able to take all that offline in Collector and retain the functionality I'd get from one feature service/class per feature layer? Specifically I'm looking for the ability to turn individual layers on and off and identify features.

Thanks for any information or further insight,

Charlie

0 Kudos
ShaunMartin1
New Contributor

*whew* Can't thank you enough for this post!  I was getting the same error message, kept looking at the map document - and breezing right over the same issue of multiple layers in the TOC that point to the same feature class. 

0 Kudos