Offline Map Areas - Collector

12-20-2018 08:00 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I am trying to download two areas for offline use in the new Collector (formally known as Aurora), I have two question regarding this topic.

1. How can I have offline areas downloaded to my device and still use the enter map if I have service and choose to. For example, an Inspector is out in the field visiting a location that was downloaded to the device for use offline, after collecting the inspector moves onto a new location, how can that inspector access the entire map on collector even when there are offline areas downloaded?

2. On AGOL on my computer, in the settings tab for my map used in Collector, In the Offline tab there is a section labeled "Map Areas" the description says that this is where you can create offline areas on the computer and these areas will be pushed out to the devices using the map. I have created two areas and waited all night for them to "package". I come to work this morning and open collector on my iPad only to find the two areas are still "generating" on my device. My question is, does this feature actually work? Has anyone else been able to use it? 

Thanks

30 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Apologies on the delay Michael! I didn't get to take a look at it earlier, and it looks like the map and group are no longer shared. Are you still experiencing this issue?

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JessicaAdinolfi
New Contributor II

Since this thread is still active, I am going to share that I am having the same issue as Michael with the Map Area packaging (AGOL) and map generating (Collector) taking forever/not working. I too left my computer and iPad for several hours only to see no progress made. I have done this once before and it did work, so I know it can be done. The only difference between this time - not working- and last time - worked, is I added a duplicate layer to be able to search by multiple attributes in a feature layer. This is a whole different issue that seems like it could be improved to avoid this somewhat messy workaround. Any guidance on getting map areas to be generated and available for download is appreciated.

Thank you!

PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

Have your tried removing the duplicate layer and retesting? Duplicate layers weren't supported offline in classic Collector so Aurora may have the same issue.

0 Kudos
JessicaAdinolfi
New Contributor II

Yes. I removed one copy of the layer, and it packaged and downloaded just fine. So now I have two downloaded maps with the same layer but with a different search attribute to be able to have both available. I am hoping they will change this in the future, because it seems like a silly limitation to me. Thanks for the info on Classic, I guess duplicate layers are still not supported.

0 Kudos
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

I am encountering this issue with 10.7.1 and new version of Collector.  

0 Kudos
JacquieKovarik
New Contributor III

I'm unable to download offline maps in Collector Classic (the app just crashes every time I try to download). In the "new" Collector, no matter which basemap I specify in my AGOL map, the resulting download is always the streets basemap, with some of the layers not appearing even though they display in the layer list. Seems like there are bugs in both versions, and we are unable to successfuly use either Classic or "new" Collector for field data collection at the moment. 

Kylie Donia, do you have any updates or can you share with this strand, or other posts you can link to for further answers/discussion?

T‌hank you!

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jacquie! I haven't seen the behavior you mention where you are getting the streets basemap no matter what basemap you use in your map. Could you share the map with me where you are seeing that, and I'll see what I can learn for the new Collector? The easiest way is to share the map and layers with a group, invite user "Collector4ArcGIS" to the group, and post in this thread the name of that group and map so I know where to look. 

As to the issues you are having in Classic, is that with the same map, or a different one? Is this all maps you try? 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JacquieKovarik
New Contributor III

Hi Kylie Donia‌,

I've shared the map and layers with you in a group on our organizational AGOL site. Please let me know if you find any issues with the configuration.

Thanks,

Jacquie

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

I see you are using a map area that you defined in ArcGIS Online, and that downloading it shows the streets basemap. Did you ever use the streets basemap in your map? The map areas don't update automatically, so if it was created while you were using the streets basemap, and then you changed the basemap of the map, you'd have to update the map area to get the change to the map. Another way to test this would be to make a new map area and see if it shows the same issue.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JacquieKovarik
New Contributor III

I attempted to define a map area using ArcGIS Online as a last resort when I was unable to download a basemap successfully on my iPad. In the settings for downloading a map area in ArcGIS Online, I specified the Hybrid Imagery map, not the streets basemap. The same things occurs when I download on the iPad - even though the web map has the Hybrid Imagery basemap, the streets basemap gets downloaded without any of my map layers/editable features appearing. 

0 Kudos