New Collector App - Downloading Maps Offline

01-10-2019 11:19 AM
JordanMiller4
Occasional Contributor III

How do I select my own TPK imagery map when I download our maps offline? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jordan -- When you are downloading a map, the basemap used in the map is downloaded as the default basemap. However, you can copy a TPK to your device and then use it with the downloaded map. You might find this information useful: Can I use basemaps copied (sideloaded) to the device?

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
erica_poisson

This seems extremely redundant. Will this be changed to match how Classic handles basemaps when downloading new offline areas if tpks are sideloaded?

Erica
0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

It is being changed to be a better experience and make use of content already on the device, but won't be identical to Classic as there are new offline workflows supported. This will be coming in a later release.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
erica_poisson

Okay...that is good to know.

As of now, offline areas have been nothing but an impossible hassle in v18.1.0. Offline use seems almost impossible at this point with on-demand downloads failing (and stopping) for no apparent reason, and for pre-made Offline Areas stalling out on download, or never completing the "generating" stage within Online. While offline functionality wasn't perfect in Classic, at least it was reliable. Hopefully we see this reliability replicated in the new version sooner rather than later. 

Erica
MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

We gave up trying to use the new Collector and went back to 'Classic'.

0 Kudos