I have a possible bug to report with the Windows version of the Collector app. I have a hosted feature layer and a shared map, and when I open the map on the Windows version of the Collector app, I consistently have an error in "One layer is not accessible." The link provided shows an error "Token required". However, on the Android and IOS versions of the app, this layer loads fine. Is this a Windows bug or is something else going on? Any feedback is appreciated.
If you're interested in sharing your map message me privately so I can get access. If that isn't possible, I'd recommend reaching out to Support to help identify the root cause of this issue.
I have seen this issue before in previous support cases, so it would be best to call or reach out to technical support so we can take a deeper look at this issue. If I recall, the case I had with invalid xml only in Collector for ArcGIS on Windows was due to a single field in the feature class that had a domain assigned to it, but the domain did not have any coded values.
Is this still a Bug, we seem to have a similar issue with one of our Collector projects. I clicked on the link, and seem that the bug is no longer in your system. I was also wondering if you are seeing this issue with other OS's of Collector (Android/iOS) if you have, would you share this information. Thanks, Dan!
Seems like this issue is popping up in other versions and for other users as well. I did not find a real resolution to the problem, I just ended up scraping the entire service from the cloud and re-trying (default approach to experiencing odd bugs with Collector) and it seems to have worked. However I was not able to figure out why this bug occurred in that one instance and not other times.
I have not reported it as a bug other than posting here, but feel free to.