iTunes Sync, lost data

Jump to solution
10-12-2015 11:25 AM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

we recently had a Collector Sync issue; so the solution was to grab the runtime.geodatabase using iTunes.

iOS device was connected, iTunes was launched, Sync button pressed.

Now iTunes, Apps/Collector shows the downloaded folder, but it's empty.

Ugh, any hope here to get the data?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

We apologize for inconveniences this have caused you. We are aware of this issue and have submitted an update to Apple’s App Store today that addresses this issue. We are trying to expedite the approval process.

If you have updated to 10.3.4, but have not yet launched the app, we recommend waiting for the update to avoid losing any edits on the device. Or you can copy the data from your device, however you need to do this before launching the app.

We apologize again for inconveniences. Once we got approval from Apple, I will update the post.

-Miaogeng

View solution in original post

24 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you see that the folder was empty after you click on the folder in itunes and click Save To? The save to will grab whatever is in that folder and bring it to your save location. From there you would see the downloaded data.

0 Kudos
danbecker

yes, I highlighted all the contents in iTunes (userName_replicaID folder, basemaps folder and all the files) then hit SaveTo. The resulting folders on the C:/ drive where the runtime.geodatabase should have been were empty. iTunes also displayed a "zero" size of the folder. When I first saw that I got nervous.

Supposedly, the device owner said he was able to see the map and un-sync'd data in the "on device" tab of collector prior to the attempted iTunes dump. But, iTunes doesn't dump anything but blank folders.

Did the iTunes connection, then iTunes "SYNC" operation wipe the Collector app data before I was able to perform the SaveTo ?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry Dan, I have not seen that happen before when a device is being sync'd through iTunes and the data is wiped during that sync.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We actually experienced something similar, over this past weekend, but our [data dump] didn't occur during an iTunes sync, but just the average everyday syncing function. The only issue was that the Collector app decided to install the newest version; 10.3.4, during the sync?

Both of the field biologist reported that during the syncing operation the app simply shutdown, then restarted itself, and all of the data had been lost. When I asked them to send me a screen shot of the App Store for updates, you can see where the app had updated.

Any chance to keep this from happening on future releases or Maybe an announcement email to all AGOL users that the Collector app is going to be updated on such and such date, so we can plan around that release date?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The app does not choose when to update. This is an OS setting that lets the app update happen automatically without any interaction with the AppStore. You will need to go under settings, Itunes & App Stores and switch off Automatic Updates to prevent this from happening again.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That is understood, but it is there a news feed or email blast that announces when the app will be updated? Why would it delete the data that was associated with the previous version of the app? Is it a complete overwrite during the install?

0 Kudos
danbecker

I checked the device, it had v. 10.3.4.

Is that the issue? Non sync'd data was whipped during the iOS update to collector 10.3.4?

Edit:

Another surveyor successfully used iTunes to dump his data on the same day, everything was in tact. His device doesn't did auto update, was also at v. 10.3.4

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's what we were seeing on our end; unsynced data being deleted after the update was applied to the app.

0 Kudos
danbecker

I can't believe more people aren't reporting this.

Same here that's the only explanation we have also.

UHG.

0 Kudos