Is there a way to automatically create bookmarks from existing data?

10-03-2019 09:29 AM
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to automate the creation of bookmarks for use in ArcGIS Online. We have some contractors who collect data for us and we use bookmarks to indicate where they need to be. I know that you can use existing data to show where they need to collect but unfortunately that would still require them to constantly navigate back to that designated location every time they open Collector. So if there is a way to automate bookmarking I would greatly appreciate it.

Robert

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Set up the search parameter in your web map to allow them to query the sites. That's what my field crews do and it zooms to the location.

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Thanks Robert,

I will give that a shot. I was hoping that there was a way to add bookmarks using published services to automatically create a bookmark using an existing feature.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Our field crew have not made any complaints, at least to me.  We have some 246 sites they need to utilize. 

Just make sure and set the Search to your Features and turn off the global search.

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Thanks Robert,

Our crews work in designated grids but I was thinking it would make sense

to have the grids be something that we could change internally that would

show in the web map that they use. That way I'm not having to create

bookmarks in a web map for them to click on and zoom to everytime.

0 Kudos
DarrylKlassen1
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Robert,

You should be able to use the code in this repository to create bookmarks in your AGOL map, which should come through on the Collector App.

GitHub - Esri/ago-tools: A Python package to assist with administering ArcGIS Online Organizations. 

Darryl

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Thank you very much Darryl.

I am not sure where or how this code gets implemented, but I will do some research to see where and then figure out how we can set it up. It seems pretty straight forward, but the language is something I am not familiar with. If you have any ideas on where and how to implement this or where to configure the code I would greatly welcome them.

Robert

0 Kudos
DarrylKlassen1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Robert - is Python code that you can run from anywhere.  I.e. you can set it up as a scheduled task on your server if you want.  Run the populateBookmarks.py script that will take a URL and fieldname from an existing map service and create bookmarks in the specified map that you are looking for.

populateBookmarks.py -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD -layerURL URL_TO_MAP_SERVICE -labelfield FIELD_NAME -itemid AGOL_ITEM_ID -portal PORTAL_URL

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Thank you very much Darryl. I wasn't paying attention when I was looking through the code nor did I notice the .py at the end of it. I am actually familiar with python and so are several of our database administrators. I will run this by our database administrators to see if we can set this up on the server.

Thanks again for the huge help.

Robert

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Darryl, adding bookmarks to a webmap would be really handy for us, since we have over 1000 points to survey. I'm not really sure how to run this though, I saved the github files in a folder, and inputted your code

populateBookmarks.py -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD -layerURL URL_TO_MAP_SERVICE -labelfield FIELD_NAME -itemid AGOL_ITEM_ID -portal PORTAL_URL

in the ArcMap python terminal. It just keeps showing syntax error though. Thanks very much for your help

0 Kudos