Inspection Not Saving To Related Tables

11-02-2016 08:13 AM
JoshHabel
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am having a problem trying to create a pole inspection map that I can use with the Collector app.  My issue is when I create a new inspection it does not save to the related table.  I wanted to be able to maintain an "inspection chain" so I've tried to set this up like the hydrant inspection example with a pole feature class and a related inspection table but it just doesn't seem to be working.  Is there something I'm missing?  I am using ArcGIS desktop 10.3.1 standard.

This is generally what I have so far...

A pole feature class with roughly 128k poles and a blank inspection table that is related (1-m) by a common GUID field (see attachment).  

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated,

Josh 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh,

With regards to the relationship class you've setup between the poles and inspection table, it should be between a GlobalID and GUID field as oppose to a common GUID field for both. The reason being is because Global ID's are system generated and are automatically copied over to the GUID field in Collector, thus linking the records together. What's likely happening in this case is that since no GUID value is being linked to the related record, its being orphaned.

Try recreating the relationship to be between a GlobalID field and Guid field. In ArcMap, to add Global ID's right-click on the pole layer in the Catalog Window > Manage > Add Global Id's.

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
JoshHabel
Occasional Contributor

Kevin,

I double checked how I have the relationship set up and the Feature Class GlobalID field is actually a Guid Data Type that is for some reason named GlobalID and the table GlobalID field is a GlobalID Data Type that is named GlobalID_1.  So it would seem that i do have a Guid related to a GlobaID.  Is there a specific naming convention for the field names that it is looking for?

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh,

Thank you for that information. I see that you do have the correct field types, however they are in the reverse order. For the poles layer, that should contain the Global ID field and the inspection table should contain the GUID field. The reason being is because the poles layer is the origin and the inspection table is the destination therefore the Global ID's should be generated for the existing pole features. Then when a new inspection is created for that pole, that value should be copied into the related GUID field to link them together. That gets done automatically when adding the related record in Collector.

But in general, the fields names don't really matter it's just the field types that do and the direction of the relationship as far as which is the origin and which is the destination.

For testing purposes, I'd recommend creating copies of the pole layer and inspection table just to test out that relationship.

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
JoshHabel
Occasional Contributor

Thanks that seems to have worked!

Josh

0 Kudos