How to configure the Collect a new feature list?

07-31-2015 02:59 PM
MatthewTwietmeyer
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have one feature class that has 77 values of crop types. When I upload this into our Portal and publish a map service it shows me the legend in alphabetical order and I can change that legend in the Change style options. My issues is when I go to edit the data either within the map service in the portal or in my collector map/offline map the collect a new feature list/edit new features is all messed up and out of order. I use a coded domain value for the 77 crop types. How do I get the collector and map service to reflect what I want to see in order in the edit session?

Thanks,

Matthew Twietmeyer

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I've had similar problems.  For some reason the "types" section gets out of order.  See the discussion here to determine if this is the issue you're having.

MatthewTwietmeyer
New Contributor III

Thanks Randy,

Yes this is my issue. Where was your json file located within the arcgiserver folder structure? I seem to be not finding the particular file specifically for the /0 layer within the map server where the Types is? I have tried the admin rest as well and I seem to not be able to find it in the admin or regular api page. Is it embedded in the SD?

So my options are to either edit the types with the JSON or Sort the coded domains and hope that AGOL and Collector use that?

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I am not familiar with Portal's layout, but it may be similar to ArcGIS Online.  Go to MyContent and click on the layer you are having issues with.  There are sections for description, access, properties, etc.  There should be a link in the Layers section that will take you to the Service URL (REST Services Directory).  You should see a link near the top for the JSON file.  This file describes your feature layer.  Toward the bottom, you will see a section called "types" which works with the symbology of your feature.  What you will probably find is the items in this section do not appear in order by the "id" - in your case, the crop ID codes.

You can save this file and use the python code here to extract and sort the "types" list.  Change the names of the input and output files in the code to suit your needs.  Then you can use the administrator REST API to update the types section.  IMPORTANT: Try this with a backup of your layer so you know how (and if) it works.

0 Kudos
MatthewTwietmeyer
New Contributor III

Randy,

So my feature server/service is from my ArcGIS Server and is not a ArcGIS Online service which is different in speaking API. Portal for ArcGIS is like AGOL, but when I click on my layer in My Content it goes to the consumer based rest services page that does not allow edits to the json file. I would have to do this from the admin rest page, but the admin rest page represents the services as just the map server and not the feature server and map server seperately like the consumer page. Do you know if ESRI is planning on fixing this issues as it seems from the forums that this is becoming a issues for people using collector or online editable services? Has anyone tried the feature services being enabled with a dynamic workspace to see if that would allow the symbology and layers properties to be changed on the web on the fly?????

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

To change to the admin directory for your feature layer, you should be able to insert /admin/ between /rest/ and /services/ in the URL.  Then you should have an update link for the feature, probably at the bottom of the page.  See this blog for more information: Updating Hosted Feature Services in ArcGIS Online.

I can't answer the two questions re fixing this issue and dynamic workspace.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
MatthewTwietmeyer
New Contributor III

I am going to try and do this updating the definition of service. I'm in development so I won't have to worry about messing up the layer if anything happens I can just publish another duplicate service. I did notice though that in comparison to AGOL and Portal 10.3.1, AGOL gives you that edit-manage service option at the bottom of the manage new features window. Portal 10.3.1 does not allow you to publish feature or tile layer services like AGOL which means that editing new featuers option is not an available resource. I don't know why, but that makes the update service definition the only option for Portal 10.3.1 for fixing this Types issues. Submitted a ESRI Support Ticket and they put it with this number NIM086149. The support person had never seen this before. Pass this on.

0 Kudos
MatthewTwietmeyer
New Contributor III

I mean hosted feature and tile layer services.

0 Kudos