How do I get the data collected with the Collector App back into my geodatabase on ArcMap desktop?

10-14-2019 12:50 PM
RandySteele
New Contributor III

I want to use Collector to update current feature classes in my geodatabase. Things like meter account numbers, addresses, lot number, fire hydrant flushing data, etc. in the field and update my geodatabase on my desktop computer. Collector updates AGOL but what is the best way to get that data back to my pc?

Thanks,

Randy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Do you have ArcGIS Pro as well as ArcGIS Enterprise?  If so, then you can share a web layer from ArcGIS Pro that references the enterprise geodatabase feature class.  So when the web layer is edited, it updates the Enterprise geodatabase feature class directly.  You can read more about it here - Share a web feature layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response. I have Pro, not Enterprise. If I had Enterprise this wouldn't be an issue. The data syncs fine to my AGOL hosted layer. I just want to "sync" the collected data (field information) to my geodatabase. There must be a simple solution for this. I am a novice with Arcgis.

Thanks,

Randy

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I understand.  Okay question then - are you or other users updating the local feature class or are all the edits occurring on the web layer?  Also, are you using a file geodatabase locally then?

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Robert, I am the only user so I am the only one updating the local feature class. I'm trying to set up Collector so that our field crew can enter in things like account numbers for water meters and fire hydrant flushing data. It is working syncing to the AGOL feature layer (hosted). How do I get those updates back to my local geodatabase? I tried using the append geodatabase but it duplicated all of my hydrants.

Thanks,

Randy

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If the web layer is considered to be the authoritative data source vs. the file geodatabase, then one workflow to consider with a file geodatabase:

1. On the File Geodatabase feature class, run the Truncate Table geoprocessing tool to clear out the records in the feature class but not the schema.
  2. Run the Append geoprocessing tool to append the data from the web layer to the file geodatabase feature class.  This workflow will avoid duplication of records that you're currently seeing.

Would this work?  

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Robert, that's an interesting idea. I'll make a backup of everything before I try it. I can't believe there isn't an ESRI solution and/or guide for this process using Collector.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Randy - I spoke with a fellow instructor who teaches Collector to verify the workflow I provided.  We're both thinking this is the only viable solution to a file geodatabase without using ArcGIS Enterprise.  One additional thought is once you have the workflow dialed down on your side is to create a model in ModelBuilder to somewhat automate the process.  Then you're just running the model vs. single tool processes.

0 Kudos
JeremyZimmerman1
New Contributor

I agree. It is so crazy that a company would make so many 90% solutions, but never have it go all the way around. There are a dozen different ways to get data into AGOL, a dozen ways to get that data into apps to edit, but all the methods of getting that data back into your Geodatabases (god forbid you use SDE) are janky, half baked, or cannot be automated correctly without being logged into desktop. 

Close to perfection, just to run away screaming in flames...