Having issues with photo capture using ArcGIS Collector App

03-17-2018 07:34 PM
JacobSessions
New Contributor

Having issues with photo capture using ArcGIS Collector App on Microsoft Surface 3 tablet.  When adding feature point and attempting to take a photo attachment, the inset photo capture window opens, but when taking a photo the app doesn't do anything.  We can keep pressing the photo capture button and hear the tablet taking a photo but the app never goes to the next "screen" where you can accept or retake the photo. We have two tablets and this has just now recently been a problem with one of them, they have both worked fine before this issue.  We have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and did not resolve.  The camera works fine on the tablet and we can take photos using that and attach the file within the collector app, but that is not efficient for data collection.  Attachments are enabled on the file, as they other tablet works fine.  Any suggestions to get the camera to work again?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CoryFagan
New Contributor

I have the same issue since we upgraded to Windows 10. When adding feature point and attempting to take a photo attachment, the inset photo capture window opens, I can take the photo but I do not see an 'OK' button or check mark. The only option is to close out the camera window and when I do that the picture does not attach to the feature point. Funny thing is I do see the check mark and can link videos to the feature point, but for some reason I don't have the same option when taking a picture.

0 Kudos
JacobSessions
New Contributor

So just incase anyone else has this issue, we discovered that the issue is most likely a compatibility issue with Microsoft's updated camera app.  One tablet had automatic updates turned on and the other did not, and therefore one of the tablets updated the camera app which no longer works with Collector correctly.  I guess Esri will need to evaluate the changes and adjust their app accordingly to regain support.  We did however find a fairly convenient work around.  Instead of using the camera option within the Collector app, we use the file attachment option which opens a file explorer window.  On the Surface 3 tablet (running windows 10), you can select the camera app within the file explorer window.  This actually gives additional camera settings and provides a larger camera view window.  It is virtually going through the same process as before but it utilizes the camera app outside of the collector app.  Not sure if this would work on other OS's though.

0 Kudos