Select to view content in your preferred language

Data validation & correction post collection

02-02-2022 06:25 PM
ChrisH2
Regular Contributor

Hi all, I'm hoping that this is not too broad a question... 

We have an ArcGIS Collector app published through our enterprise Portal environment. 10.9.1. It's  been in use for several weeks now and we now understand that we've missed the boat somewhat in setting up data entry behavior and have ended up with data that needs some post-collection correction so that our Dashboards work well (+ can use the data properly in Pro and ArcMap).

Example 1: An age field that allows both null values, and also a discrete "unknown". We now know that we want both null and known values to be "unknown"

Example 2: A contractor field that for practical reasons needed to be free-text. We've now ended up with a glorious combination of entries such as "My company name" , "My Company Name", "MPC", "My Co Name" and so on

As this app is in production and it's being used on a daily basis, I'm looking for a viable way to correct this data after data collection - daily if possible. IT change management is slow here and it'll be 6 months before we get another iteration of this app.

I could use an arcade data expression in our dashboard to replace entries with valid values but I feel that's just papering over the problem and my preference is to correct the actual data. Manual corrections are currently being done via ArcGIS Pro 2.5 (2.9 available soon), and we also load this data into ArcMap as a hosted layer

In the future we envisage having some proper data workflows that support the QA of this data, some analysis and addition of extra fields on it's way to a secondary database, but that's 6 months away and yet to be fleshed out

I'm not that familiar with the current tools to validate and automate data corrections in this environment and the old-me would start looking at building something in ArcGIS Pro in Model Builder > point it at the data source, replace "null" with "unknown" and so on....

Is there a slicker way to do this in Enterprise 10.9.1, ArcGIS Pro 2.9 or ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1? We're not licenced for Data Reviewer. 

0 Kudos
0 Replies