Data Uploaded, Edited and Exported from AGOL is Reprojected (incorrectly)

08-02-2016 12:02 PM
MalcolmMeyer
New Contributor III

We used Collector to digitize sidewalks in the field. The lines were drawn on the map using the editing tools - meaning the GPS location was not used. The original data (File Geodatabase) was in NAD 83 Ohio SP South (ESRI:102723) when uploaded. On the AGOL map, the sidewalk lines line up with the imagery. However, when exported as a FGDB, downloaded and opened in ArcMap and viewed with 1ft ortho imagery, the data is incorrect. It looks as though it has been reprojected. The screenshot below shows the AGOL data - BLUE - direct from the AGOL Feature Server service and the exported data - YELLOW - (exported from AGOL) on a Leaflet map, using the ESRI imagery basemap layer, the same imagery that is used the AGOL maps.

Also, if I export the data from AGOL as geojson, I get again different results. Currently it is unclear how I can get my data out of AGOL without drastically impacting its spatial accuracy. Maybe I can reproject it in ArcMap, or change the projection?

Any idea what is going on here?

agol-data.png

10 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Different publish methods can affect the spatial reference of feature service, which will change the spatial reference of exported file geodatabase. 

If you have File GDB with NAD83 2011 and upload zip file into ArcGIS Online, the data is reprojected into WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere. When you export File GDB from this feature service, the spatial reference of exported File GDB will become WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere, which is different from your original NAD83_2011. In this case, you need to make sure in ArcMap, you need to configure geographic coordinate system transformation during data comparison. 

If you would like to have the same spatial reference between exported File GDB and the original File GDB, you should use ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro to publish feature service and make sure data frame in ArcMap or Coordinate System in Pro Map Properties to be the same as original File GDB.