Creating pull-down menus for collector

Jump to solution
04-16-2014 10:33 AM
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor
I am creating a feature service in desktop to publish on AGOL to be used with the Collector App.  I would like to specify several different tree species for one of the fields.  i.e. ash, pine, oak, etc.  Is there any documentation on how to create fields that will appear as a pull-down menu in Collector?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
9 Replies
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor
Am I creating subtypes then with default values then?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Yup if you want to autofill values off of a feature you pick to collect then you would use subtypes and domains to have that option. If you do not want to auto-populate a feature you will use just domains set in the GDB and then associate that domain to the correct fields in the feature class before publishing up the service.

Russ
0 Kudos
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor
That did the trick!  Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertLefebvre
New Contributor
Do you need ArcCatalog to create a pull-down?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
You can use Catalog or ArcMap to create the geodatabase and feature classes to generate your data model.

Russ
0 Kudos
GregConiglio
New Contributor III
Russ, we've made great use of domains to generate easy to use drop down lists in Collector 10.2.2.  One question though... With a disconnected map, adding attributes to a new point seems to behave slightly different in a slightly annoying way....

When a point is first added I cannot any attribute, whether it is tied to a domain, or a simple text field.  I have to submit the geometry, and then re-click on the feature and "Edit".  Is this by design or is there something I can do to help with this...  It does not to this when we're connected
Thanks!

You can use Catalog or ArcMap to create the geodatabase and feature classes to generate your data model.

Russ
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
It sounds like the service you are using has editor tracking and ownership controls enabled on the hosted service. This current version of the app does not support those feature service capabilities on hosted services. If you disable those check boxes on the hosted service item detail page and re-download the map you will be able to collect right away and not have to do a collect then an edit.

Russ
0 Kudos
GregConiglio
New Contributor III
Russ:  That certainly solved the issue!  It also solved the sync issues that some users had that have been discussed in other threads (Odd though that the editor tracking / sync issue did not seem universal - I could never replicate the problem and could always sync anyway, but just after I removed the editor tracking I got an email saying syninc was working for him!

Enjoying this forum - thanks for all your help with us in it!!

It sounds like the service you are using has editor tracking and ownership controls enabled on the hosted service. This current version of the app does not support those feature service capabilities on hosted services. If you disable those check boxes on the hosted service item detail page and re-download the map you will be able to collect right away and not have to do a collect then an edit.

Russ
0 Kudos