Create a collector app that only allows users to edit a certain field?

Jump to solution
03-11-2020 03:15 PM
KaitlynScott
New Contributor

Is there a way to create a Collector app that only allows users to edit a certain field? I would like to create an app for our contractors to use and have them change a "Status" field to "Completed" on task records, but I do not want them to be able to edit any other data. Even though the service I will use is a copy of the real data, I would like to add that extra protection to assure that we get accurate information returned. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kaitlyn - Yes, it is up to you what fields are editable. There are a few ways to accomplish this.

1. Set the editability as part of your service -- how you do this depends on how/where you are creating the service.

2. Set it in the web map (although if set in the web map, then the same data could be edited if added to a different map). Details on this are here: Configure the form > Display and editability of entries—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

3. Use feature layer views: Control access to data in Collector through feature layer views).

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kaitlyn - Yes, it is up to you what fields are editable. There are a few ways to accomplish this.

1. Set the editability as part of your service -- how you do this depends on how/where you are creating the service.

2. Set it in the web map (although if set in the web map, then the same data could be edited if added to a different map). Details on this are here: Configure the form > Display and editability of entries—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

3. Use feature layer views: Control access to data in Collector through feature layer views).

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
UriGilad_EsriAu
Esri Contributor

Hi Kaitlyn, 

The fields your contractors see/edit in Collector are those that are available through the popup.

In the web map, open the layer's popup and set the appropriate Display/Edit. For example, in the image below all layers are visible but only FEATURETYPE is editable:

Hope this helps, 

Uri

If this answer solved your question or if you found it helpful please mark it accordingly to help others who have the same question.

KaitlynScott
New Contributor

Awesome thank you so much, both of you!! That is very helpful!

0 Kudos