collector with portal

09-26-2019 10:20 AM
DathenStrine1
New Contributor

We have maps created to be used with collector. We are connecting using VPN. in the specify the URL to your portal I get errors. When using the server name the error is "A server with the specified hostname could not be found". Also get an error with using the IP address " The server you are trying to connect to (IP) is using an untrusted certificate". I installed our certificate on our IOS device but was still unsuccessful. Any ideas would be great.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dathen

> We are connecting using VPN. in the specify the URL to your portal I get errors. When using the server name the error is "A server with the specified hostname could not be found". Also get an error with using the IP address " The server you are trying to connect to (IP) is using an untrusted certificate".

Some questions:

1. What release of Collector are you using: Collector for ArcGIS or Collector Classic?

2. What kind of certificate are you using? self-signed, domain, or CA certificate?

3. Can you please take a screenshot of the error message(s)?

FYI, Problem: Unable to log into ArcGIS Enterprise portal with Collector for ArcGIS when using a self-sig... 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
MarkYerington
Occasional Contributor III

Derek

We are starting to roll out Collector for ArcGIS Androids latest version and we are getting this error after not using the map for a while.  This may be due to losing internet "cell coverage" while navigating in the field or disconnections settings in VPN if not used for so long.

In collector classic we were able to just re-establish connection to VPN if disconnected and the maps would work again, in the new collector we have to go to another map inside Collector for ArcGIS then go back to the map to get the layers back.

Also we are still getting certificate warnings after installing the wildcard certificate on the tablets and saying allow with the check box checked in collector.  The certificate is installing under the user certificate store on the device.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

> We are starting to roll out Collector for ArcGIS Androids latest version and we are getting this error after not using the map for a while.  This may be due to losing internet "cell coverage" while navigating in the field or disconnections settings in VPN if not used for so long.

I'm not sure how to advise your issue as I don't have much experience with Android devices. I will say that I have heard some users getting the "certificate error" issue because they've lost connectivity - as you've described.

• What kind of Android device(s) are you using?
  • Do you have the latest OS installed?
  • What release of Portal for ArcGIS are you using?

If this issue is persistent, please contact esri Tech Support with some detailed repro steps so we can investigate further and try to resolve.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
DathenStrine1
New Contributor

Derek,

Thank you for responding but we found that this issue was in our VPN connection. Once IT contacted our vendor it started working.