Collector will not load maps on Android 7.0

Jump to solution
06-30-2017 09:04 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My organization recently purchased a Samsung Tab S2 Android 7.0 tablet to run Collector in the field, prior to this we ran on a Samsung Tab E Android 6.0.1.  My maps still work fine on the Tab E, but if I try to access them on the new Tab S2, Collector opens and I can select the map I want to open, it opens but the basemap will not appear.  It just spins as if it cannot find the basemap; the accuracy will increase up to around +/-10' and the add new feature tab is available (I can also "add" a new point and fill out all the tables including adding attachments but after I submit it the point will exist but it will tell me that it is missing location data).  I can connect to the internet and access items over the web so connectivity to the device is not the issue.  I have cleared the cache, cleared the data, unistalled and reinstalled twice.  Does anyone have any idea what I am missing;  I know it will be something stupid.....it always is.

29 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I asked a similar question below:

"Recently my Tab E (which was running great at 6.0.1) was upgraded to 7.1.1. I had assumed (foolishly) that if I had any problems then the factory reset would work.  However, The factory reset is not working nor is the workaround you suggested here.  Is ESRI working on anything with regard to this problem?

As of right now I would recommend that if your Tab E asks to upgrade you should not if you want to use Collector.  I am desperately hoping the next version of Collector will correct this because otherwise I will need to downgrade back to 6.0.1 and after researching that idea I have discovered that it is something I would prefer not to do."

I have been hoping (for almost a month now) that ESRI comes up with a solution; till then, I cannot use that tablet and I am not upgrading ANY other tablets until it comes back online.  Based on everything I have read, Downgrading seems like a bad idea and I would only attempt it as a last resort.  I tried looking at what the updated OS does that causes the problem so I could see if maybe I could make a change in the settings but it was a bit outside my area knowledge base.

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I just wanted to provide an update to this forum.

*Note - in general prior to performing any OS upgrade, please ensure that any offline data has been synchronized.

Because this behavior is still being investigated and because having to factory reset the device is not an ideal workaround, here is another workflow that might solve this problem.

If anyone runs into this issue, before factory resetting the device, please try the following:

1.       Connect the Android tablet to a PC via the USB cable. Make sure Collector is closed.
  2.       Using Windows Explorer on the PC, navigate to the tablet and locate the ArcGIS_Collector folder.
  3.       Cut/paste that entire folder onto the desktop PC.
  4.       Back on the device, uninstall and reinstall Collector. A new ArcGIS_Collector folder will be created on the device.
  5.       Launch Collector and access the free maps via ‘Try Collector for ArcGIS’.
  6.       Try opening the ‘GNSS Capture’ map. See if the basemap loads.
  7.       If it does, sign in and open your map and download it as well to test it.

I am not sure if these steps will work to fix this issue, but it’s a quick and easy test to try. You can replace the ArcGIS_Collector folder afterwards if necessary on the device.

Please respond back to this forum to let me know if these steps worked or not. Unfortunately I do not have a reproducible case on my end to try these steps.

Thank you.

-Kevin

OliviaDrake
New Contributor II

FYI, I can't open the GNSS Capture map either after re-install.  Will try to factory reset next.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Olivia,

Thank you for the response.

Before doing the factory reset, did you happen to first try the steps I outlined above for temporarily removing your ArcGIS_Collector folder from the tablet > then reinstalling Collector?

I am trying to see if that folder could be the cause of this problem. Unfortunately I don't have a repro case to test that myself.

Thanks

-Kevin

0 Kudos
OliviaDrake
New Contributor II

Yes I did, actually a couple of times.  I just did the factory reset and now everything works. Thanks to this post!!

That folder was definitely glitchy though because it did some weird things (like making replicas of itself on the tablet) when I was trying to copy the data to my desktop for a backup.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you for that information Olivia and for testing the removal of the ArcGIS_Collector folder. I am glad the factory reset worked and that you're up and running now.

Thanks

-Kevin

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kevin, 

Recently my Tab E (which was running great at 6.0.1) was upgraded to 7.1.1. I had assumed (foolishly) that if I had any problems then the factory reset would work.  However, The factory reset is not working nor is the workaround you suggested here.  Is ESRI working on anything with regard to this problem?

As of right now I would recommend that if your Tab E asks to upgrade you should not if you want to use Collector.  I am desperately hoping the next version of Collector will correct this because otherwise I will need to downgrade back to 6.0.1 and after researching that idea I have discovered that it is something I would prefer not to do.

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hi Kevin

We have a few devices Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 

Android Version 7.0

Collector 17.0.2

Same issue, Maps would not load in Collector, > Explorer for ArcGIS > Survey 123 worked as expected

Followed your steps by removing the Folder etc... >Still had issues with viewing the basemaps etc...

Then after doing a factory reset, the device is now working as expected.

0 Kudos
RyanClark9
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin, Michael and others,

Thank you for posting this question, and for all of the subsequent comments, etc. This has helped me resolve the same issue on a Samsung Tab S2, model SM-T713 with Android 7.0. We just purchased the tablet earlier this month with the intention of using ESRI Collector for offline data collection in the field. I tried Kevin's suggestion of moving the ArcGIS_Collector folder off of the tablet, and uninstall/reinstalling the app. That did not work. I also had to do the factory reset twice. Fortunately, after the second time, Collector is now loading the maps!

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
RyanClark9
New Contributor II

Hi all,

Looks like I spoke too soon. Collector is not loading any maps again on our Samsung Tab S2 with Android 7.0. It's obviously not practical to have to do a factory reset every day to get it to work. So this issue remains unresolved. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan