My organization recently purchased a Samsung Tab S2 Android 7.0 tablet to run Collector in the field, prior to this we ran on a Samsung Tab E Android 6.0.1. My maps still work fine on the Tab E, but if I try to access them on the new Tab S2, Collector opens and I can select the map I want to open, it opens but the basemap will not appear. It just spins as if it cannot find the basemap; the accuracy will increase up to around +/-10' and the add new feature tab is available (I can also "add" a new point and fill out all the tables including adding attachments but after I submit it the point will exist but it will tell me that it is missing location data). I can connect to the internet and access items over the web so connectivity to the device is not the issue. I have cleared the cache, cleared the data, unistalled and reinstalled twice. Does anyone have any idea what I am missing; I know it will be something stupid.....it always is.
Solved! Go to Solution.
To clarify, are all the maps not loading in the maps page, or are they appearing in the maps page and then when you try to open any map, the basemap is not loading? based on your comments:
"We just purchased the tablet earlier this month with the intention of using ESRI Collector for offline data collection in the field."
"Collector is not loading any maps again"
I guessing that you are attempting find a downloaded map (for use offlione) and they are not coming up on the maps page.
Thanks for asking. No maps of any kind are loading, whether we try opening the free sample maps under ‘Try Collector for ArcGIS’, or our own created maps downloaded onto the tablet. There is no problem downloading maps.
Yesterday, maps were loading for a brief time, but later, when I downloaded an updated map, nothing was loading.
I have tried downloading our map to the internal storage, and an SD card, and it does not make a difference. There is no problem loading maps on my Motorola phone with Android 6.0, nor on my colleagues iPhone. So this leads me to believe that the problem lies either with Android 7.0, or with the Samsung S2 tablet.
What I am hearing is, at login you see this:
Then you select your map (any map) and then it is followed by the map starting to load but then it spins and never really finishes loading. If so the factory reset would be the only answer that I know of that has worked. If your maps are doing something different there are a few possible answers we can explore.
At any point does collector:
1). Open a window that says "Unfortunately collector has stopped" and then,
2). Crashes and then automatically reboots up again but,
3). The map that you tried to open is no longer on the maps page but,
4). if you refresh Collector the map reappears?
If so, at what point during the loading does that window appear?
I confirm that I am seeing a similar screen to what you've shown, and then I select a map (downloaded or not) and then it is followed by the map starting to load but then it spins and never really finishes loading. I do also get the warning message that the device is not sending valid NMEA and that position will be determined using Android Location services. This message also displays on my phone, but the map loads anyway.
I have not seen any of the other four situations you listed.
The NMEA warning seems to be just a standard warning, I get that warning too (I have seen more than a few posts about it in Geonet) and does not seem to cause any issue with the operation of the application. Based on your response the only answer that has worked for that issue is the factory reset. Please let me know if you come up with a different solution.
I have been meaning to post that, after a third factory reset, Collector or the interaction between Collector and Android 7.0 on the Samsung tablet seems to have stabilized and is loading maps without a hitch. It worked great for our first trial run field survey!
Thank you again for your help and following up!
Hi All, I also hit this issue on brand new Galaxy Tab A 8" after upgrading to 7.1.1 then installing Collector for the first time and setting various other configuration settings. I factory reset on one unit and it worked, but there is a lot for me to set up again. So I tried the "Reset settings" option and that also worked. Then I reapplied the setting that had been reset and the Collector was broken again.
Turns out one of the settings I did was font small to medium is what breaks collector. I changed font size from medium to small and everything worked again...
I will respond again if I find anything more in my testing...
I as well have had the same issue on several tablets (Samsung Galaxy S2 & S3 Tabs, Android 7.0) and I found that the display settings were causing the issue. Thanks Larry Wiebe for helping me realize that. It took some playing around, but found that if the display settings for Screen Zoom and Font size we're any different that what's in the picture below, then web maps would not load into Collector.
Good Luck Everyone!
This was my issue, thank you very much for the info
Thank you for solving this issue, lowered the font size, instant loading maps. I will add that my device is a Galaxy Tab E, and has a lower resolution so there are less options on screen zoom I believe, but leaving it at the smallest level works for me.
Again, thanks for the solution. I have 6 tablets and this one hasn't worked for 6 months...until now