Collector: use related layer to symbolise feature

Jump to solution
09-04-2015 10:40 AM
ShaunGibbins2
New Contributor III

In the post below it describes using ArcGIS Collector to carry out inspections of assets by creating a relationship to an inspection table. This works really well and is a good way to separate asset edits from maintenance operations, however I cannot work out how to update the symbology to display when an asset has had an inspection.

Related Tables – Exploring New Ways to use Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog

If you have a large number of assets then you need a method for the field works to keep track of what has been inspected and what is still due, I originally thought of having a 'inspection_status' field that would be set at the start of the season to 'Due' and would have a default setting of 'Not Due' so that every time an inspection took place the field value would automatically change from 'Due' to 'Not Due' without the field worker having to do anything other than fill in their inspection form.

I was then going use the icons below depending on which value the feature had for 'inspection_status' The only problem is that this field is in the inspection table and not accessible from the feature class to use to set the symbology!!!! Arrrgh

YellowEmpty.png Due

Yellow.png Not Due

Does anyone know another way to achieve the same result please or could this be considered for a future enhancement.

51 Replies
PMGIS
by
New Contributor

Nice. So you are saying that the join you used was able to be carried into AGOL? I am not publishing to ArcServer. I am publishing straight to AGOL as a feature service. It seems to not take a join when published as a hosted feature service. That is the problem I keep running into.

0 Kudos
yaserkhouja1
New Contributor III

Yea, it will work, but there is a trick. You need to make a join first in ArcMAP or ArcPRO. Then publish the layer and table in AGOL as a feature services. However, you will only allow to publish a feature table only because the join. So all you need is to add the table only, and look for the map service layer. After that, you can filter your data as you want. You will see all attributes in the map service. Also, don't forget to enable the popup configuration in the map service layer.  

PMGIS
by
New Contributor

So if I pull the hosted feature service from AGOL into ArcPro, create the join, then go back into AGOL to create the filter, the join wont mess up the relationship between the two tables?

0 Kudos
PMGIS
by
New Contributor

With the symbolgy change, how would I reset the symbology back to its original state evry month when the do new inspections. That made me think, maybe it might be better for me to label the feature with the creation date from the last inspection. is that possible?

0 Kudos
PMGIS
by
New Contributor

Also, do I join the relate table to the features, or do I join the features to the relate table?

0 Kudos
yaserkhouja1
New Contributor III

You can filter them by the attribute, but the symbology need to be created through ArcPro before you host the layers.  

You should join the feature to the relate table. 

0 Kudos
yaserkhouja1
New Contributor III

You just need to create the join then publish everything to AGOL. One limitation, I see that I can't edit the layer from the web map since it's a map service. But you can edit through ArcMAP or ArcPRO, and the change will apply on the web map.

0 Kudos
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor
MeganJohnson
New Contributor III

Kyle, 

Do the queries you used work on versioned data in an enterprise geodatabase? I was able to successfully query features based on records in a related table when testing in a file geodatabase but cannot get any records to return when querying within the enterprise geodatabase

0 Kudos
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you update the url to the wordpress site?

It shows a 404 error.