Collector Offline Credential Timeout with Enterprise Logins (Shibboleth)

04-15-2015 01:14 PM
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

Is there a standard timeout for credentials obtained for offline use of Collector when used with enterprise logins, in our case we are using Shibboleth? How long is the authentication good for that you obtain when you are online, after you switch to using Collector offline? 

It seems that some of our users who spend enough time in the field offline -- something more than one day, but it's not clear -- can no longer access their maps. If Collector is being used offline and it crashes, a user powers their iPad off/on, or the iPad is soft reset because of problems with Collector or other apps, then Collector picks up again just fine, but only if the user last logged in online only a couple hours beforehand.  If they have gone longer than a day (or maybe it's more), then Collector breifly flashes the view of the maps and then resets to the login screen, and leaves them stuck with no access to their maps; they're offline, so they have no way of logging in again. This is with Collector 10.2.7 and 10.3 on iOS.

Thanks!

-peter

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Peter, very interesting question. We are in the process of implementing Collector as our Mobile solution and I hadn't considered the caveat of logging in to the application when in the field/offline. I certainly can't help with the answer but I hope Miaogeng Zhang or Russell Roberts can help (or someone in the community). Both are Esri employees who actively respond to GeoNet Collector concerns. Russell had been leading Collector but just transitioned over to ArcGIS Online support and Miaogeng has stepped into his role. Good luck and I'll be following your discussion.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Peter,

We have known issue in iOS about siging into Shibboleth. We are investigating sign in issue internally.

I am curious if you have Android device to try similar workflow and see if it exists in Android.

peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

We are mostly an iOS shop, however, I'll see if I can find an Android device or two with which to test.

Is there a list of suggested enterprise login solutions and their reliability with Collector? Should we be considering something else besides Shibboleth? There was a bug in Collector and Explorer last summer which prevented us completely from using Shibboleth logins online or offline.  Is using ArcGIS built-in store the only reliable way to go at this point for user and role management?

Thanks!

-peter

MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

We can try other SAML identity providers mentioned in Set up enterprise logins—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS , except Shibboleth. We don't have known issues in other identity providers.

0 Kudos