Collector map not downloading

06-04-2015 06:57 AM
KristenHoffman
New Contributor

I have an ArcGIS Online map that we used last summer to collect points of data with the Collector app.  Point locations were collected using Collector, and an image was attached to them.  This summer, we tried to download the map to a new device (iPad) to continue with data collection and I received the following error:

InvalidJSON.pictureMaker contentType unknown

When I download the map to Collector on my Android device, the map will download, but the point layer does not show up on the map at all.  I need the map to download with this layer because we want to continue our data collection from last year.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Here's a possible fix for you.

• In AGOL My Content, go to your map and open it in ArcMap.  This should bring in your map with symbols in desktop.  It seems that only the Collector off-line database is affected.
  • Click on a your layer and save is as a layer file.  We're saving the symbols here.
  • Export your layer to a local geodatabase.  You can bring it into the map just to see if the points line up, if you like.
  • Open an new map, without saving any changes.
  • Add the layer that was just exported.
  • Open the layer properties and import the symbology that was exported as a layer file.  It should now look similar to your original map but without any background.
  • Publish it is as a new service, and replace your old layer in your online map with this one. You may wish to create a new map instead, so the old one can be used for reference.
  • If you need to tweak your layers, check the JSON file to see if the contentType remains intact.

Hope this helps.

ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Kristen,

The issue you and the other posters have encountered here has been identified as the following bug:

BUG-000086128: The 'contentType' parameter becomes empty when using the 'updateDefinition' operation for a hosted feature service in ArcGIS Online.

This issue is directly related to changing the symbology, domain ordering, etc. for a hosted feature service. The updateDefinition operation wipes out the contentType, which causes Collector to not be able to interpret the drawingInfo for your feature layers.

The bug above is currently being addressed by the ArcGIS Online team to be included in the next release of Online in July. Please feel free to direct message me or reply on this thread if you have any additional questions.

-Scott