Collector map not downloading

06-04-2015 06:57 AM
KristenHoffman
New Contributor

I have an ArcGIS Online map that we used last summer to collect points of data with the Collector app.  Point locations were collected using Collector, and an image was attached to them.  This summer, we tried to download the map to a new device (iPad) to continue with data collection and I received the following error:

InvalidJSON.pictureMaker contentType unknown

When I download the map to Collector on my Android device, the map will download, but the point layer does not show up on the map at all.  I need the map to download with this layer because we want to continue our data collection from last year.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Kristen,

did you use a custom picture as your point symbol? When you open it in ArcGIS.com do you get the same error?

Tim

KristenHoffman
New Contributor

The photos were taken with the tablet while collecting each point as an attachment.  They work fine when opened on ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
KristenHoffman
New Contributor

Sorry I read that wrong.  The symbols are not custom symbols.  They're simple point symbols assigned in ArcGIS Online.  I tried changing them to have no transparency and it didn't change anything.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Kristen,

Are you trying to download the map for offline editing? Also, would it be possible to share a link to the problematic web map?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
KristenHoffman
New Contributor

Hi Kelly,

I am trying to download the map for offline editing using Collector. Would I be able to share the link with you via e-mail?  It's currently not a public web map.

Thanks,

Kristen

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I am working on a similar problem.  Do you know how to look at the ArcGIS REST Services page for your layer?  My Content >> layer file >> in Layers, click the link showing the layer name or click on the triangle button and select Service URL.

On the service url page, you will see a section for Drawing Info.  Search for "contentType" - typically it says "image/png".  But with the problem you are suggesting, I suspect it will show a null (two back to back double quotes).

0 Kudos
KristenHoffman
New Contributor

Yes, Randy, you're right.  There is a null there.  Is there a way to fix that?

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

When that happens, the only way I've found is to republish the layer.  In my case, the contentType was set to null after I tried to do some reordering of the symbols using Manage New Features in AGOL.  That is: Edit ( between the Add and Basemap menu) >> Manage >> then moving the items up or down.  It is possible to change this order by updating the JSON file and avoid the contentType change.  I have not been able to update the drawingInfo section of the JSON file as this also seems to set the contentType to null.

In your case, I would suggest republishing your layer. Then check the service url to see what it says for contentType. Add the layer to a new map, and before making any tweaks, see if it works both on and off-line.  Then work through your map adjustments making frequent checks with the service url to see if and where the contentType is getting changed.  If you can identify the step, then maybe a work around could be found.

I do have a support request in, so I may have more information later.

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I received this from ESRI support: "This anomaly can be classified as an ArcGIS Online where the AGOL changes the "contentType" in the symbology description to <null>. Essentially, this leads to the symbology contentType defined as null in the Offline geodatabase and as such the Collector for ArcGIS fails to read and assimilate the features."