Collector for Arcgis: The Server you are trying to connect cannot be verified

10-21-2017 09:39 AM
Electricity_Company_of_Ghana_L
New Contributor

I have setup an on-premise Arcgis server 10.4.1  which has been used for field data collection. Surprisingly over the last week, I did a minimum update on the server and I persistently get a dialog stating "The Server you are trying to connect to cannot be verified". The service has been restarted multiple times but get same error. Features cannot be accessed on the collector application anymore. An urgent help is really needed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. Is there any way to get an older version of Collector then?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Joshua,

You are not able to roll back to a previous version of the app:

FAQs for data collection—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
CassidyKillian
Occasional Contributor II

I am experiencing this same issue trying to run Collector on a Galaxy S3.  Map opens and I get the server cannot be verified error.  We have tried loading the certificates directly on the tablet and it still does not work.  We can hit all layers, endpoints, and open the maps in a browser.  Appears to be something in Collector blocking the layers from being loaded.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you check if the certificate for SSL is valid? Since 17.0.3/17.0.4 release, the change was made to not allow self-signed/untrusted certs due to security concerns that could expose customers to various type of attacks. 

MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor
SiCasley
New Contributor III

We are experiencing the same issue - has there been any progress on this? I can confirm we are using Collector for Android v17.0.4 on a variety of devices. All our (ArcGIS Server) services are secured, and we don't get the authentication popup on any of our maps. Our server certificate is CA signed and shows as trusted in Chrome on the Android devices. Are there any workarounds?

0 Kudos
JasonCiak
New Contributor III

Our solution/workaround as suggested by ESRI was to manually load the SSL certificate onto the Android device.  This can be done by creating a .cer file of your SSL certificate and then loading it onto the Android device by opening and registering the cert on each device you are using.  Kind of lame but it worked in our instance.  You can use the first paragraph from the article below in order to create the .cer file.  I then transferred that to the device via thumb drive and when you open the file on the Android device it asks for name to register it on the device.

Manually Install SSL Certificate in Android Jelly Bean | Guy Rutenberg 

"The first step is to export the certificate as a DER encoded X.509 certificate. This can be done using Firefox (on a PC) by clicking on the SSL’s lock sign in the address bar, More Information -> View Certificate -> Details -> Export. The exported certificate needs to be saved on the root directory of the internal storage of the phone, with *.cer extension (or *.crt). Other extensions will not work."

0 Kudos
SiCasley
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion Jason - unfortunately installing the certificate on the device made no difference and we still get the message "The server you are trying to connect to cannot be verified" when opening the map in Collector and none of the layers load.

Seems to be an issue with the way ArcGIS Server (10.3.1 on Windows) is sending out the certificate (with an incomplete chain). The same certificate is used without any issues on one of our other (mail) servers.

0 Kudos
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

This site MAY assist:

SSL Checker - SSL Certificate Verify 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This one is also helpful and generates a report card for your certificate:

SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)