Collector feature pushes to Survey123 Form which then conditionally changes symbology in Collector?

04-17-2019 10:28 AM
EliasLiakos
New Contributor II

I'm trying to create a connection between Collector and Survey123. The basic idea is that we have a series of features available on a layer in Collector, each corresponding to a point we're trying to inspect. When you click on the point/feature it provides a URL which prepopulates some fields in a Survey123 based on the feature's information. I want a field on that Survey123 form to change the symbology of that specific feature on Collector. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

But I thought you said a join must be 1:1 right?  There will be many Field Visits so 1:1 will not work for me.  The other issue may be that I have editing turned off for the parent since I do not want them to touch that.

thanks

0 Kudos
DallasCrow
New Contributor III

You shouldn't need editing enabled on the parent feature for this to work, so I think you're good in that regard. The join is 1:1 in the sense that it can only symbolize and pass values from one related record and its parent into the survey - it doesn't change the 1:M relationship between the main feature and the field visits. All field visits will remain in the related layer. A case where the 1:1 join would be problematic is if you wanted to summarize and pass values from multiple previous visits into Survey123 at one time. Even then, it might be possible to do some forms of summary inside Survey123, such as adding to a count field each time a survey is performed.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I turn off editing in the web map so not sure what the join would do with that.  I would need the latest field visit so not sure how that would go. I do not love having a view but I will look into it.   

Hopefully FeatureSet gets added soon.  It would work great for your project also.  See post here  Are the Arcade FeatureSet functions supported in Collector?   Also this is my post on relationship attributes not working  https://community.esri.com/thread/231490-relationships-counts-not-displaying-in-collector 

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
DallasCrow
New Contributor III

I'm waiting for them right along with you. FeatureSet support in Collector would eliminate many headaches for users and developers alike. I kept my hopes up during past projects and am still frustrated by the delay. There aren't many alternatives and workarounds for that functionality.

The join view doesn't edit other layers and shouldn't require editing enabled on the parent feature. The only layer that needs edit capabilities is the one holding your field visits. If it does turn out that you need editing enabled to perform the initial join, it would only be momentarily until the view layer has been saved, and then you could disable editing again.

When you perform the 1:1 join analysis, one of the config options is to choose which record to keep. If you sort by created date and choose "newest", your view will always use the latest field visit to symbolize and populate the survey.

0 Kudos