Collector crashed, data lost?

Jump to solution
10-28-2015 03:23 PM
TomKearns
Occasional Contributor II

Collector crashed, when  re-opened it none of the maps were visible.  The map has been re-downloaded.

I know data collected earlier is saved to the tablet, and I think I can see it in folders after navigating through windows explorer.  There are 2x jason files, a thumbnail and a xxxxxxx...ee2dfdd.geodatabase GEODATABASE File.  How do I get the data back out of these and into a place that is synch-able?  It is a samsung galaxy (android) and they are points with a few attributes.

Arcmap and arc catalog do not recognize the database file.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomKearns

http://blog.cartong.org/2015/09/23/arcgis-collector-offline/

Solution below from link above.

Steps for ArcGIS 10.2

The “Copy Runtime Geodatabase to File Geodatabase” tool doesn’t exists in the 10.2 version of ArcGIS, so we’ll have to use another one (two in fact) to achieve the same result.

1. Copy the content of your smartphone and open ArcGIS (like explained in points 1, 2 and 3 above).
  2. Open the Toolbox and search for the tool “Export XML Workspace Document” (in Data Management/Distributed Geodatabase)
  3. In Input data, drag and drop the .geodatabase file from your phone (you have to drag and drop it in the white line below “Input data” because you won’t be able to find it using the “Open” button)
  4. Choose a location for the output .xml file. Leave all other options by default.
  5. Once done, open the tool Import XML Workspace Document (in Data Management/Distributed Geodatabase)
  6. In Target GDB, put the location of the geodatabase that will contain all the exported data (it will automatically create one if it doesn’t exists yet in the specified folder). Always use a blank GDB that you will delete later.
  7. In Import file, put the .xml file you created earlier. Leave other options by default.
  8. You’ll end up with a geodatabase containing all the data, like explained in point 7 of the ArcGIS 10.3 version above.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

Tom,

the gp tool Copy Runtime Geodatabase To File Geodatabase​ will allow you to create a file geodatabase  from the runtime geodatabase file.

Good luck,

Tobias

TomKearns

This looks like a great tool.  Is it for version 10.3? We are running 10.2.  I do not see it in the tree or during a search of the toolboxes.

I can try and run it as a stand alone script but this will be of little use if I don't have the tool.

Thanks!

Edited:  Must close collector to copy folders out of the collector folder to the desktop.

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

You could try ArcGIS Pro if you have a 64-bit machine, it looks to have that tool.

TomKearns

I do not see it in my version of ArcGIS Pro.  Neither in the tools nor in the python window.  It makes sense for the desktop if the tool is introduced in 10.3.

I should have the necessary permissions, but I am guessing this is the issue.

Thanks.

Edit:  My ArcGIS Pro conversion Tools toolbox.

0 Kudos
TomKearns

http://blog.cartong.org/2015/09/23/arcgis-collector-offline/

Solution below from link above.

Steps for ArcGIS 10.2

The “Copy Runtime Geodatabase to File Geodatabase” tool doesn’t exists in the 10.2 version of ArcGIS, so we’ll have to use another one (two in fact) to achieve the same result.

1. Copy the content of your smartphone and open ArcGIS (like explained in points 1, 2 and 3 above).
  2. Open the Toolbox and search for the tool “Export XML Workspace Document” (in Data Management/Distributed Geodatabase)
  3. In Input data, drag and drop the .geodatabase file from your phone (you have to drag and drop it in the white line below “Input data” because you won’t be able to find it using the “Open” button)
  4. Choose a location for the output .xml file. Leave all other options by default.
  5. Once done, open the tool Import XML Workspace Document (in Data Management/Distributed Geodatabase)
  6. In Target GDB, put the location of the geodatabase that will contain all the exported data (it will automatically create one if it doesn’t exists yet in the specified folder). Always use a blank GDB that you will delete later.
  7. In Import file, put the .xml file you created earlier. Leave other options by default.
  8. You’ll end up with a geodatabase containing all the data, like explained in point 7 of the ArcGIS 10.3 version above.