Collector app tries to open URL from custom attribute display inside collector itself, instead of opening it in an external web browser.

06-19-2015 05:51 AM
BertHavekes
New Contributor II

You can define an URL, based on a on attribute, in ArcGIS Online. This is a realy nice feature to create a simple interface to external web-based sources. extranal_url.jpg

When using this webmap in the collector app this works fine on Android 4.4. When pushing the link, it automaticly was opening a browser (Chrome for example), and showing the right webpage.

But 2 weeks ago this stops working. What is happening now, is that collector tries to open the resulting URL inside the Collector app, in the attribute window.

I'm not sure, but I think this behavior started after the upgrade of the tablets (Samsung galaxy Tab S 10.5") to Android 5.01

If you do a completely fresh install of the tablet and the collector app, it works again as it should be, but after 1 or 2 days that odd behavior is back again (opening the url inside of the attribute window of the collector).

Anybody know this behaivior or better, knows how to repair this?

Kind regards,

Bert

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

I am not sure the reason of this odd behavior. But when it happens, can you try to close all the other background apps?

0 Kudos
BertHavekes
New Contributor II

I've tried what you  suggested. But no difference.

By the way, it's not something that happens sometimes, but this is consequent behavior in the collector app now.

Today my colleague told he got exactly the same problem with collector app running on Android 5.

Hope you can solve the problem. Seems to be something in the combination Collector app versus Android 5.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you share your map to a group and invite the account Collector4ArcGIS into it? I can take a quick look.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

When it fails to load, do you see the error " The webpage at ...could not be loaded becasue :

net::ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME". If so, that is the same issue report at BUG-000088624

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/role/beta10_1/QlVHLTAwMDA4ODYyNA== 

We will take a look at this issue.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

What is URL link do you try to open? Is it scheme link? What type?

0 Kudos
DavinShokes1
Occasional Contributor II

I have not seen this behavior but would love to be able to do this with a local html file. My android users currently click an image in the popup that links to file://mnt/sdcard/CollectorCalculator/index.html#field1={field1}&field2={field2}.

The local url simply runs a lookup table so the user can copy field3 back into collector. If I could actually get the html to load in collector, it would save numerous steps hopping in and out of collector.

Bert Havekes, could you please type out the syntax for your link so I can try and reproduce on a local file?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
BertHavekes
New Contributor II

This is a bit funny: The same behavior that was a problem for me, is a wish for you...

But I'm afraid I have to disappoint you: This bug is fixed in the latest builds! All html links opens now in a external browser window.

So if you wants to get this behavior, try to get a apk with on old build, the one that was activi in june 2015.

Kind regards,

Bert Havekes

DavinShokes1

Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
MalcolmJ

Hi

We have Collector 10.3.3 installed but we are still experiencing a similar issue to this when trying to open a URL in Collector on iOS.

The URL is going to a site with basic authentication enabled, and it doesn't load in the window in Collector. It just stays spinning and 'freezes' collector. The app has to be restarted to be used again.

Opening a regular website like google etc works fine, its only sites with basic authentication that aren't working for us.

Thanks

0 Kudos