Collector App - Downloading to iPhone Blanks out Field

Jump to solution
03-22-2014 04:48 PM
JohnSepenoski1
New Contributor
I have been testing the new offline features of Collector and generally everything is working great.  However, I have one map where when I take it offline one of my text fields is blanked out in the copy on my device (iPhone).  No errors come up indicating that there is a problem, the field is just blank.  If I fill the field in and sync back it works but the field in question is one that rarely changes so I would rather not have to re-enter the data.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this field to be blanked out?  All of the other fields work normally.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
The Area field is a reserved field name in the geodatabase and that is why the export was causing the field values to wipe them out.

This python script should help you out with pulling down the features and attachments: https://gist.github.com/oevans/6992139

Cheers
Russ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share the map & service that is causing you this issue and I can take a look at what the issue may be.

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
JohnSepenoski1
New Contributor
The web map is called 2014 Osprey Nests and the service is OspreyNests2014.  The field that is blanked out when I take the map offline is Area.

Let me know if you need anything else.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
What field are you seeing blanked?

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
JohnSepenoski1
New Contributor
Area gets blanked out.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks. I am able to repro the issue and will look into it.

Russ
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you create a version of your service with the Area field name changed to something different and try exporting the data and see the data field data not get wiped out? The filed name area is a gdb reserved word and we are looking into the issue to see if that is causing the export to wipe out the field data.

Russ
0 Kudos
JohnSepenoski1
New Contributor
Okay, I will try to give that a shot today.
0 Kudos
JohnSepenoski1
New Contributor
Russ,

I posted another version of the service with the field renamed and it is no longer blanking that field out when I take it offline.  Initially I thought that perhaps Area was a no-no for a field name but since it worked fine when I was online I assumed that wasn't the problem.

I will keep testing this but for now I have another question.  How can I keep the attachments I have in the current AGOL service?  I assumed I could copy my data from AGOL back into Desktop, fix the field name and post it back out which all worked fine for the point data and attributes but it does not keep any of my attachments.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
The Area field is a reserved field name in the geodatabase and that is why the export was causing the field values to wipe them out.

This python script should help you out with pulling down the features and attachments: https://gist.github.com/oevans/6992139

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos