Collector and ArcGIS App

10-16-2014 11:35 AM
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Whats the difference between Collector and ArcGIS App?

Apps for Smartphones and Tablets | ArcGIS App

12 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Taken straight from the help:

"Collector for ArcGIS focuses on data collection and provides a streamlined experience for working in the field, while the ArcGIS app focuses on general map use, query, and feature editing."

For a bit more info, you can also look at the differences with the ArcGIS app and Explorer, and many of the same differences apply with the ArcGIS app and Collector:

"ArcGIS for iOS and Android were the first native viewers of maps hosted in ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS. Explorer for ArcGIS is the modern, native experience for working with your organization's maps. As the ArcGIS system evolves, additional functionality will be brought into Explorer, while the ArcGIS for iOS and Android apps won't be updated with new features and functionality."

Esri Education Team
SteveLong1
New Contributor III

Kylie,

Lately I have gotten back to working with these three apps. ARCGIS, Explorer, and Collector

I notice recently that ALL my maps basically crash whenever I open them. I have NOT updated to iOS 8 as I haven't seen clear reports that the ESRI apps have been updated.

We are using heavily loaded maps right now (7-14 features editable in each maps with probably 40+- layers in a storm drain map for Montgomery County MD)

Any tips?

Is iOS safe to operate the Apps

The same maps open fine a month ago

In the last month we have added v10.22 services  (we were only running v10.0 & 9.3 services before

One last question, does the collector and Explorer app update ?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share your maps and services to a group and invite Collector4ArcGIS to that group and we can look into what the issue may be.

Thanks

Russ

0 Kudos
SteveLong1
New Contributor III

Russ

I set up a Group called "ESRI-MCGOV AGOL Tech Support" and invited you

My cohort here in DOT/DTE, Dan Higgins, is also a member

I will put my maps there that are not working in collector and Exploror on the iPAD

I am running Collector v10.2.7 build767 and Explorer v

We also had another question. .....

Is there a way to "HIDE" the service paths and sources from showing in the "Details" page of the map?

There are some services we are running open to "Everyone" so that our mobile consultant users and our inside survey crew can actually edit our database directly from the field.

We DON'T however, want anyone but our consultants to edit.

We haven't found  way to isolate an ESRI anonymous user from copying the source path to place the Feature services directly in their own map.

We can control our WebMap and Web App access, but not the Feature and Mapservices access on the public server if someone actually has the path info to our public server

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Hey Steve,

We figured out the issue. It was an indexing error in the app on map service. We fixed the issue in our SDK and it will be out in our early January 10.3 release of Collector.

Russ

0 Kudos
SteveLong1
New Contributor III

Russ,

I didn't understand your reply, but is the new version of collector out that will enable it not to crash on all maps

Can we run 10.3 Collector on our 10.22 ArcGIS services

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes when 10.3 Collector is released it will still work with your 10.2.2 server. If you are seeing a crash on the map can you please provide some more detail?

Thanks

Russ

0 Kudos
SteveLong1
New Contributor III

Russ

See my above message. I made a Special group with the subject map in it.

I can approve a membership request for the map for collector4GIS

Right now it says it is unable to load "mcgbasemap" from gis3.montgomerycountymd.gov

The basemap comes up fine on the web browser on the desktop. The map finally came up with our own Image service loaded (so we can zoom in closer)

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I just checked out your map with Collector 10.3 and I am seeing the mcgbasemap layer loading now. This update will be coming out very soon.

Russ

0 Kudos