auto-calculated fields

01-25-2018 01:51 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello, 

I'm trying to find a way to have field in my Collector app that will calculate and display the results of others fields in the same table. I came across a solution that would imply to use a field calculator (in a domain field using MobelBuilder). But this solution is tedious to implement and I understand the mobile worker would not see the live calculated field(s) in the Collector app. Do any of you have any insights to share with me concerning this auto-calculated field based on data the user have inputted before. Thanks a lot!

7 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you want to get intelligent forms in Collector. This type of functionality is available in Survey123 using for instance Formulas—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS . Would it be possible to use Survey123 or do you have line or polygon geometry?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Finally we had to create Python Script to do those auto-calculations. I know Survey123 is great in this matter but indeed the workflow involves complex geometry like line and polygon and is more also map-centric. The Collector Aurora version have this in their pipeline I think, I look forward to get my hands on this when this will be released. Thanks Xander!

XanderBakker

Keep an eye out for attribute rules (An overview of attribute rules—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop ), since that may also prove value for this type of workflow. 

0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

after a day of trial/error with attribute rules, I just discovered they are NOT enforced on downloaded maps in Collector. Since they are applied at the database level, you don't get the validation error until you sync the offline data. Even worse is that since the db won't allow the features to be written (validation errors) the violating records are forever gone. Maybe you can dump them with iTunes from the runtime gdb, not sure. Glad I discovered this before deploying on a real project.

Another gripe is that after attribute rules are added in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1 you cannot work with the enterprise gdb in ArcMap any longer since it doesn't have the ability to work with attribute rules. Bummer.

A new Collector update, that recognizes Arcade expressions is in dire need. Then, validation rules could be applied at the app level.

miphepia
New Contributor

Hi, I'm glad to read you found a solution. I need to do the exact same thing by concatening a few fields to create another one dynamically. Is there any chance you could explain your procedure to do so?

Best Regards,
Lucas

0 Kudos
GB_-_ChristopherMcCollister__G
New Contributor II

I have the exact same question. I created a collector app for rapid fire hazard assessment of properties in the Wildland Urban Interface. After the assessor has entered a bunch of fields, a hazard rating is produced based on a summation of the the other fields. I would love it if it could be auto populated out in the field as opposed to post processing back in the office. 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

In case you would work with points only, Survey123 has the capability to do calculations in the survey itself. If the idea is to see those calculations in the office only, am Arcade expression can be used and the result will be displayed in the pop-up or you could define your symbology based on the result. 

0 Kudos