Attachment tags or captions?

08-13-2014 10:52 AM
AdamGagne
New Contributor II

On the surface it doesn't look like Collector, or ArcGIS in general, support user tagging or captioning of attachments.

Is that really the case or am I missing something?

thanks

Adam

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

That's correct - I think the best you could do would be to add a caption field to the feature you are assigning the attachment to.

We've had to implement this as a custom feature using the Runtime SDK

0 Kudos
AdamGagne
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion but that’s the problem. When you have more than one attachment they sometimes need some kind of distinct caption.

0 Kudos
AndreeaAmbrus
New Contributor III

Did you find a solution to adding captions to attachements? I need to load multiple attachements (photos) to a feature and it will be helpful to be able to add some caption. 

0 Kudos
AdamGagne
New Contributor II

Hi Andrea

So far it looks as though that functionality is not native to the app.

You could do some kind of modification to the structure of the attachment table and integrate a program that let’s you modify the names of the photos but it’s not out of the box.

Please let me know if you learn more

Thanks

Adam G

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

Pretty much - you'd have to get a bit creative if you want to include them - like embedding the caption info into the EXIF/IPTC tags when it is collected or adding a field to the attachment table somehow.

I would consider using a camera app like Photogene2:

Photogene² for iPhone on the App Store on iTunes

It allows you to edit the IPTC tags for a photo, add a caption, and then export to the photo library.  You could then import the photo as the attachment.  I haven't had a chance to test it to see if the IPTC data makes it through the sync process.

0 Kudos