Android vs IOS problems

10-01-2015 02:08 PM
OPRD_testOregon
New Contributor

Hello,

I've been doing some testing with Collector using an iPad Air and haven't been able to get the layers to load. The layers were published using ArcGIS for Server and the data exists within an SDE database. On a whim, I tried it with my android phone and everything worked as I had hoped.

Anyone else experience this? Any solutions / work arounds?

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

When you go into the rest end point, do the layers of the feature start their enumerated value 0 or 1? I saw the same problem a while ago. At the time, my service listed the layers starting with 1, the iOS version of collector would fail to draw, Android it was okay. When we corrector the enumerated values of the layers to start with 0 everything worked fine across the board. I think this resulted in a bug, and should have been fixed. Did you check that you are on the most current version of Collector?

0 Kudos
RaymondBoswell
New Contributor II

I have noticed a similar situation when opening a project in Collector on an android phone vs an iPad mini.  I am on the same internal wi-fi network and opening the same project on each device.  There are two services in the project.  One is a feature service and the other is a map service.  Both services load on the android phone without problem, but I receive a Layer Not Loaded message for both services on the iOS device.

Here are partial URLs for the two services, so I am uncertain if the layer list issue above is what is holding me back.

Feature Service - .../arcgis/rest/services/MFDHydrantInspection/FeatureServer/0

Map Service - ...arcgis/rest/services/MFDServiceZones/MapServer/0

I checked the Collector version and it is 10.4, build 1402.

Any thoughts?

DylanSheets
New Contributor

Raymond, did you ever find a solution to this, we're having the same issue currently.

0 Kudos
RaymondBoswell
New Contributor II

hey Dylan,

Turns out the issue was IT related.  I support multiple organizations through a central server located at my facility.  The end users were a fire department at another city that were using Verizon air cards (mifi) and a VPN to their servers.  They could access the server on our network as well, but our server did not know how to get back to them.  Once the IT folks established the route from our servers back to theirs, Collector would work as it should. 

I am not an IT person, so hopefully the above makes sense.  If not, let me know and I will try provide a better explanation.

Thanks . . . Ray

0 Kudos
OPRD_testOregon
New Contributor

Hi Lee, thanks for the response. After talking with our network guys, I figured out the problem was with our internal wifi. Once I switched to an external source everything was loaded.

Since I've got your attention mind if I pose another question? Comparing how Collector works on Android vs Apple, I've noticed that when I create a feature in the Android version I can go back and re-edit the feature (alter geometry or change an attribute) but that functionality isn't available through IPAD. Once it is submitted nothing about the feature can be changed. Is this a normal functionality difference between the 2?

Thanks again,

David

0 Kudos
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

The icons look slightly different, in the iPad you need to simply select the feature that you wish to edit. This will show you the details, to the right of the word Details you will see a rectangular sheet with a arrow pointing upward. Select this icon, then select Edit. Check out the screenshot below.

Collector.PNG

0 Kudos
OPRD_testOregon
New Contributor

The option to edit the feature is not available through the IOS version of the Collector app. On the android version, I can edit, but only features I create through the app not features that already exist in the database.

David C. Quillin

Senior GIS Tech.

Oregon Parks & Recreation

725 Summer St NE, Ste C

Salem, OR 97301

david.quillin@oregon.gov<mailto:david.quillin@oregon.gov>

ph. # 503-986-0787

fax # 503-986-0792

0 Kudos
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

It might be good to check to see if you have logged in as the same user. It sounds like the user that is logged in on Android has only permission to edit features that they create, which is a setting in ArcGIS Online. When you create a new feature in the iOS, can you then edit that same feature on the same devise?

There isn't a method for ArcGIS Online to control types of mobile devices that can edit, it comes down the user permission. So one user could have the ability to edit and another could not.

0 Kudos