android tablet specs

03-10-2016 08:44 AM
City_of_Edgewater__Fl_GIS_Div_
New Contributor III

We are looking to purchase 3G tablets, maybe ASUS, for field collection using the collector app, we currently have two iPads but are looking for something less pricey

How is the experience using the Android devices as opposed to IOS, and are there any minimum requirements for an Android tablet to run the collector app?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I do not have experience with the collector app; however, if one looks on Google play one can see the version of the Android OS needed. Looks like 4.0 or higher is fine. I would imagine that any new tablet will satisfy this, but I would still check. Also make sure it has a GPS on board and is not using cell networks/wi-fi only for location.

Collector for ArcGIS - Android Apps on Google Play

We do have over 20 Samsung tabs deployed in the field that have a custom app for GPS data collection. We are currently using Samsung tab 4 10.1; however, we are looking for a new device as the tab 4 is now getting old. We have looked at ASUS and Lenovo products. I would be interested in what tabs you decide to look at....

0 Kudos
VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

One of the things I noticed between the two is the tab functionality to move to the next field, exists in the Android where in the iPad you had to click on the field to get to it. If you have a lot of fields to fill out, you have to scroll down the list of fields and then click on the one you want to update in the iPad. More steps. I haven't played with the new updates so this may have been addressed?

PeterNasuti
Esri Contributor

The Android device requirements can be found below:

Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Android

• Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or later
  • ARMv7 or x86 processor
  • OpenGL ES 2.0 support
  • Precise location (GPS and network-based) support
PeteCrosier

Worth noting that Collector will not use any SD card in your device and that it will not support screen rotation on Android. Pick something with enough internal storage and that will run Collector in your chosen orientation - not doing this can be costly!

RobBlash

Collector is also available for Windows 10 if you weren't already aware.