An error occurred while synchronizing edits

05-07-2014 09:00 AM
RichEmerson
New Contributor III
Is there any way to pull edits from my tablet other than through the sync button? I'm not sure why it won't sync but we've been trying for two days, it doesn't attempt to sync for more than a few seconds before the error "An error occurred while synchronizing edits" pops up.

I'm not tracking edits and offline editing is enabled. My feature service allows editing, adding, deleting, etc.

Galaxy 8.0
Android 4.2.2
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RichEmerson
New Contributor III
So we tried to edit the feature service on a different tablet today. Live edits work fine. Once we took it offline, it errors on sync.
0 Kudos
RebeccaHorsburgh
New Contributor II
Hi Richard,

I am having the exact same issue. Did you resolve this by any chance? I can't for the life of me figure it out 😞
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
What errors do you see on sync? Are you posting a large number of attachments?

Russ
0 Kudos
RebeccaHorsburgh
New Contributor II

generally one attachment per feature.

i have instructed our users to try and sync back after every 5 features collected if they have phone service. I'm pretty sure this is the issue in regards to the device being an Android and a number of features being collected all with photo attachments. Do you know if this issue will be resolved?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I am very interested in ESRI's response regarding recovering data from a mobile device using collector if it fails on sync. Numerous sync errors have been reported in this (is this a forum now?), as well as clarification on how to get the data off the device when that happens. With ArcPad at least you had the data on the device that you could sorta of muscle back into your enterprise database.

0 Kudos
MikeMiller1
New Contributor II

Any chance that ESRI can respond to this?  We would like to implement an off-line data collection effort next summer involving 50 people/devices over 6 months.  But we obviously cant afford to have people collecting data and not being able to recover it.

In my testing, everything worked great for a few days and then I began getting  "An error occurred while synchronizing edits" As this message is completely worthless I began doing some testing on my own.  I created a new map with the same feature services and got the same message.  Then I downloaded the data I had already collected and republished to a different feature service, that worked for awhile but now I am getting the same message.  I can collect data on a different device in connected mode but I cant sync anything that I collected in disconnected mode.

We do not have coverage in all of our study area so we need disconnected collection to work.  Can ESRI address this?  I can only conclude that something is wrong at the feature service level and I have no control over that.  Can someone from ESRI look at my feature service to determine the problem?

At the very least can the capability be provided to get the data off the device and sent in a different manner? Perhaps emailed as a kml or shapefile?  Unless this becomes robust it is not a viable solution for us or, I suspect, for anyone.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AdamEllison
New Contributor

The following Tech article addresses recovering data collected offline from Android or ios: 

http://support.esri.com/cn/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/42579

Does this help?

0 Kudos
MikeMiller1
New Contributor II

I will try it but its not really a viable solution. If I were to have to do this for 50 devices 2 or 3 times a week it wold be a full time job.

What is really needed is for disconnected editing to work.

Can someone at ESRI please address the problem and let us know how to prevent it?

0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri Support has removed KB article #42579 as it was a possible solution for a very specific scenario involving Collector for ArcGIS app 'edits failing to sync' but was mistakenly used by users outside of the supported scenario, which resulted in data corruption. Please contact Esri Support for more information.

0 Kudos