Side Loading Collector On Android

09-14-2013 11:50 AM
BrianHaren
Occasional Contributor
Does anyone know if the Android .apk for Collector is available on any third party app stores?

We just took delivery of the new Trimble Juno T41 (the Android version of the 5D) and since it the open source version of Android was used to develop the OS the device can't connect to the Android Play Store.  It can connect to the Amazon app store and that's how I was able to get the ArcGIS app loaded, but Collector isn't offered on the Amazon site.

Does any one know an alternate source for the Collector .apk?

Thanks!

Brian
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
Have you contacted Trimble about the lack of play store support as a business requirement for you and their plans for it? 
Right now the collector is distributed through the play store to enforce the system requirements needed to use the app successfully and to make upgrading to the latest version a seamless process.  If you have an android device with play store access there are a few ways you could get the apk to copy/backup the apk on to the trimble device.  Given that it circumvents the system requirements check and automatic update(s) its not something we really suggest but it is one option given that android by design is an open platform.
MatthewPalavido
New Contributor III

Hi Brian,

I know it is a bit late, but I thought I'd post in case anyone else is looking for an answer. We had the same issue. The way we got around it was to use another Android device (in this case, my phone) and load ArcGIS Collector and Apk Share onto it. Then we just opened Apk Share and backed up / shared the Collector Apk. Then you can just copy the backed up Collector Apk onto your Trimble device and install it.

Hope that helps others.

Matt