Select to view content in your preferred language

About Collector App and High Accuracy Data

Jump to solution
06-24-2019 11:29 AM
NWEdisonTeam
Emerging Contributor

Hi,

Would anyone who is using collector for high accuracy data collection care to give me a rundown on how your system works (High Accuracy Receiver preference, how it works, are you happy with the results, a basic rundown of work flow and set up, etc.). I am looking of installing collector on 5 IPADs for field work, and I am familiar that the accuracy on them is a few meters, but I would like to scale that down to a few inches/cms. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
NWEdisonTeam
Emerging Contributor

So I imagine that you had to fix dozens, if not hundreds of asset locations on a regular basis? How far were your locations off?

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Tirrell Brown,‌

We had a few hundred to fix before we caught the issue. Many had asset IDs for the feature so we could script moving the inspection to the asset coordinates but for those inspections we had not yet surveyed, using a high accuracy GPS, these had to be manually adjusted.  Learning curve 

Most points were within a meter and close enough you could pair the inspection to the asset.  Others were over a 100 meters away and through the process of elimination we could figure out what is what.  Internal iPad GPS are great for driving from A to B but just are not reliable enough to for single point positioning work.  

0 Kudos
Jean-YvesLauture
Regular Contributor

Hello Tirrell,

Re- “is the Z data limited to elevation only, or is there a way to apply it to feature collected in this scenario”

Not sure what you mean exactly, but to add to the very good points Lance and Ken mentioned, there is one thing to note on how the new Collector for iOS  (19.1.0  released on June 24, not Collector Classic) works with elevations. The Z-value Is now available in the point geometry itself along with the x, y. With the Arrow receivers, this is where the orthometric height is stored as you collect your points and if you have defined high-accuracy GNSS metadata fields in your map, the ellipsoidal height is stored in the ESRIGNSS_ALTITUDE field. 

Here is an article that shows how to set it up: How to Record Orthometric Heights in Collector v18.1.0 (Aurora) with Your Eos Arrow GNSS Receiver | ... 

Just in case you have not done so yet, I really recommend setting your high-accuracy GNSS metadata fields in Collector. Here is how to (webinar from Esri Water):  How to Get Started with Collector for ArcGIS | Web Maps, Arrow & More 

and a quick guide:  How to Record GPS and GNSS Metadata in Collector for ArcGIS 

Good luck... 

0 Kudos