Bring back location tracking in Collector

03-21-2019 05:01 PM
JakeJacobs
Occasional Contributor III

The new collector (Aurora) no longer supports location tracking. ESRI has promised a new app with better tracking.  In the mean time we are using Workforce in the background, but it only works when connected.

The new functionality might be super but all my users are asking to see just their own breadcrumbs in Collector, not everyone else's, like they used to be able to do in ArcGIS Mobile for Windows.

In that app the breadcrumbs were visible to the user but were only synced up, never down from the server to the local map.  It actually worked out really nicely for everyone.

44 Comments
Peters_Amy

Wow, thanks Aaron.  I had not heard about the Field Maps app until your post.  We have a current project with a workflow that involves Survey123, Tracker, and Explorer.  It sounds like Field Maps will be combining all the functionalities that these 3 separate apps are serving.  Will it be integrated with Survey123 as well, and if so, will there be a field that relates the survey to the Field Maps project?

Thank you! #brandon armstrong 

by Anonymous User

The first phase will be merging Collector, Explorer, and parts of Tracker. Survey123 will not be part of this new app, however you could still use app-links in a popup to call out to Survey123 if necessary. We are adding additional form capabilities across the ArcGIS Platform (Webmap Spec, JS API, Field Maps, ...) that initially will support the grouping of fields, conditional visibility (only showing relevant fields), and making it easy to require fields. This is a small subset of the capabilities available in Survey123 today but we plan to expand those capabilities over time.

by Anonymous User

Aaron this is awesome. I think it will make everything easier to unify fieldwork in one app. 

by Anonymous User

Excuse any confusion on my part but this still sounds like it requires some premium services, such as Tracker or Navigator licenses, yes? "If you sign in with a Viewer user type and the member has been assigned a Tracker premium add-on license then they can track."

So this isn't a solution to the original problem that tracking was removed from Collector and we now have to pay for tracking, but an app that integrates workflows together, but still requires any separate premium licenses? At least that's what I get from reading the blog post.

I'm still interested to see how one app will work with all our workflows, as one of our frustrations has been getting seasonal workers used to signing into and using multiple apps, so from that aspect this sounds interesting. But to track field workers you still need licenses for Tracker, so it's not really a solution of providing free breadcrumb tracking to field apps. You still need to pay for Tracker to track people correct?