ArcPad for Android

11-22-2011 06:38 AM
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor

Please create ArcPad to run on Android devices.

I do not understand why ArcPad continues to be updated for an old Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system?

Android is far superior and already has some great GIS apps such as Locus Pro and OSMAND.

Please review the features within Locus Pro and OSMAND and create those features in a ArcPad for Android.

Some very usefull features in OSMAND is the transparency slider bar (just keep it on the main screen for easy changing in the field)

Also, please use sqlitedb for tiles and create a desktop application to convert ArcMap projects to sqlitedb format for use on Android.

39 Comments
PatrickMurphy

Great, but not a single word on the actual changes. Will labels, using any of the attributes, be visible on the screen like they are in ArcPad, for example. Who knows? Maybe this will just be another big letdown until the next revision 5 years from now.

I hope for better but the past is the best indicator of the future in some cases.

Ecotone Corporation

Patrick Murphy

1554 North Street

Boulder, CO 80304

303-444-4358

20080217v2smaller

TOMBELL

I'm still using ArcPad deployed on "rugged" PDAs and have uncountable hours invested in developing custom scripts.  For example, I have developed scripts for geologic field mapping, drill hole logging, geophysical measurements, rock sampling, and many other basic tasks used by field geologists. If I just wanted to enter geolocated points into a database, I would use Epicollect which runs fine on my Android phone and is free.

It is depressing that ESRI could care less about the aggregate time the user base has devoted to implementing their needs on this platform.  Instead they have rolled out a couple of useless new products that we are supposed to embrace, develop new scripts for to do the same things we already do with ArcPad if that is even possible.  The mousetrap I have is still superior to the "better mousetraps" some ESRI software developers, who have never set foot in the field, think we need.  I can only imagine how long these toddlers will continue to "improve" their latest toys before they grow bored and start all over again.

I would like to see an effort by ESRI to continue to improve ArcPad and adapt it to hardware platforms that cost a few hundred dollars.

Tom Bell

Stratamodel Inc

MaxRingler

I wholeheartedly agreed to each of your words. ESRI's mobile "strategy", if you dare to call it that, is an outspoken disaster for people who have to work seriously!

Max Ringler

University of Vienna

MatthieuPette

The "All in cloud" strategy is a big fail. It's only for big company.  We need stand-alone applications. We need agility and full capacity of Arcpad. I don't care about a connection with Cloud when datas needs has heavy size for each little project. Arcpad should be adapted for all platforms. Otherwise we have no choice to use our old Arcpad and windows tablet while waiting for a competing software. (Sorry for my bad level in English i'm french ^^)

Matthieu Pette

Ad Terram - GIS Consultant

Montpellier -Fr

RayChilcote

Collector doesn't come close to replacing ArcPad.  As I stated years ago in this thread, disconnected editing can't be left in the dust.  Though this may be 10% of the use market, it's going to count as 90% of the interest of any business that requires such autonomy.  For if it is not included, a business will spend (likely more than) 90% of their time trying to get such areas integrated.  Though my 22 years in GIS has been 100% Esri, I cannot ignore other industry growth (QGis mobile editing - QField).

PatrickMurphy

90% of my fieldwork career has been in areas with no kind of coverage at all. No cell phones, no wifi etc. The only clouds were real clouds. Can you provide a little review of QGIS and QField? We might as well use ESRI as a forum for evaluating their competition and help people dump ESRI if they won’t support our license subscriptions.

Pat

MatthieuPette

QGis is a good software but the android version is in beta and has many crash/bug. I use OruxMap for collect simple point or track on android platform but we don't have a full personalized form as Arcpad forms (like this form i create) or I don't know the altenativ

For exemple a form i create with automation vbscript

Matthieu Pette

PatrickMurphy

Six years later and still NOTHING.  What an embarrassment for ESRI.   

AdrianWelsh

You know, I came here thinking I would vote this idea down since ArcPad is so "old" feeling and newer apps can pretty much do all these same functions. Then I read the comments and now my mind is thoroughly changed. I really hope ArcPad can make a resurgence in the real smartphone world!