Why shapes disapper when using shapes-subdivide function?

03-30-2022 12:15 AM
Vita_Vonanli
New Contributor II

Hi, I am confused about the Shapes-Subdivide because when I want to split hundreds of seperated shapes(I treated them as blocks) to get various lots, most shapes worked well but a few of them disappeard! (as the image attached shows)

I just want to know why this happened, or if there is a better way to split those shapes (using CGA or pyhon script) to get different sub-shapes?

My shapes:

Vita_Vonanli_0-1648624076373.png

after applying the Shapes-Subdivide in the menu:

Vita_Vonanli_1-1648624106556.png

Some successful examples:

Vita_Vonanli_2-1648624329020.png

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi @Vita_Vonanli,

Did you check the log after you had disappearing shapes? Maybe there are warning/error messages there which could explain it.

Cheers
Jonas

0 Kudos
Vita_Vonanli
New Contributor II

Hi Jonas, I have checked the log now, but I have no idea what is means...😢

Vita_Vonanli_0-1648694622533.png

0 Kudos
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Oh, that doesn't look to well. Can you send me the log via DM or attach it to this thread? In order to export the log you have to Right click -> Export Log...

0 Kudos
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi again,

I looked into the log. And the error messages where not the problem for the disappearing shape.

The important entry was this one:

'<initial shape geometry>': Geometry ' (mesh: Shape)' contained: 1 0-length edges (removed);
 - [Worker-1228]

This means that after the subdividing algorithm run through there was one edge created which was really small (close to 0). This can happen from time to time, depending on the subdivide settings and on the shapes geometry you apply subdivide onto. If this is the case the shape gets deleted, and it will look like in your first screenshot:subdivide_shapeRemoved.jpg

This is less likely to happen shapes which are not too complex.

Hope this helps to clarify things a bit.

Cheers
Jonas

0 Kudos