Select to view content in your preferred language

Viewshed or view dome not work for closed objects

Jump to solution
08-24-2021 03:13 AM
Lazyman
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I'm new to CityEngine. I'm interesting in viewshed and view dome creation. I want to create a view dome, and look through the window with barriers to analysis the visibility outside the room, but it doesn't work well.  The viewshed or view dome will not  analysis the models nearby (as if in a cubic), when the view distance is 3000, the  length of the cubic side is about 30.

Can you help me, please!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lazyman
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi @Lazyman,

Your observation is correct, this is a limitation we currently have: There is a minimal distance corresponding to the View Distance value you can set in the Inspector or using the Handles. The value of the minimal distance is approximate 1% of the View Distance. So, when your View Distance is 3000 the minimal distance will be 30 and when your View Distance is 30 your minimal distance will be 0.3.

I see one possible workaround, that could do the trick for you:

1. Create a Viewdome with a large View Distance
  2. Copy&Paste the Analysis Layer in the Scene Editor to get a second Viewdome at the same location
  3. Set the View Distance of the second Viewdome to a lower value (covering the grey area)
  4. you should now see a combination of both Viewdomes (with some slight inaccuracy)

duplicatedViewDomeWithDifferentDistanceValue.jpg

Best,

Jonas

0 Kudos
Lazyman
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos