Sub-shape objects

11-12-2013 02:32 AM
AleksandarLalovic
New Contributor II
After spliting a shape with a rule file (using split command) i would like to trigger just a certain number of resulting elements, let say only 1 or 2. I tryied using the percent comand but i found it unreliable because if i split a shape into 10 objects and try to do something with 10% of those objects this would sometimes be 1, sometimes 3 and sometimes non of the objects.

Practical example:
My initial shape is a plot which i subdivide into footprints. I would like just one of these footprints to be a highrise and the rest 5 storie buildings (see the attachment). Idialy i should also be able to sear the position of it but that is a different topic i guess.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Some things are not (yet) possible to synch/drive in just one step of model generation in CGA.

One example:

If you split a rectangle once through the shape, you always get 2 resulting shapes. If it's not a rectangle but a different concave form and you split it once, you may end up with multiple resulting shapes. that number ( the result ) can currently NOT be queried BEFORE the operation is actually performed. For this, CGA must be developed further a bit ( we're aware of this and considering to do so, of course).

So the current best practice is to some things in CGA and some manually, repectively automatted via Python.

Ok ?

Matt
0 Kudos
AleksandarLalovic
New Contributor II
Thanks Matt

Could i maybe select such splited shapes in python somehow. I ran into a comand some days ago but im not sure if it can do what i hope it can:

ce.getObjectsFrom(ce.scene, ce.withName("*Footprint*"))

So for example:

attr height = 20
Lot --> split(x){ ~5:Footprint}*
Footprint--> extrude(attr height)Mass.

Is it theoreticaly possible to get "Footprint" array in python and then overwrite "height" attribute of just one of these objects in array?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Yes, things like this are possible. I discussed such workflows with your collegue last year.

We can discuss the option when we meet next time, ok ? 🙂

matt
0 Kudos
AleksandarLalovic
New Contributor II
Yes, sound great. See you then.
0 Kudos