Rules Files in Visual CGA rather than textually.

05-11-2015 11:47 AM
StevenLusk
New Contributor

How do I view Rules Files in Visual CGA rather than textually in City Engine 2015? Also, I cannot find the Rules Editor Toolbar? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Steven,

Sorry, but the visual CGA editor is no longer a feature of CityEngine. Very few people used the visual editor, and there were things you can write in textual CGA that cannot be represented in the visual view (such as recursion).

If you would like help transitioning to writing the code, this forum is the place for help. First question?

Chris

StevenLusk
New Contributor

Thank you, Chris!

Well then.....

I am going through Tutorials 1 -10 available through City Engine 2015 Help menu. I guess my first question would be...how to code?? I dont know Python or any other programming language. Is that going to really hamper my learning the code necessary for City Engine?

Steve

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you use the rules in the built in library, or those supplied by other users, then you won't need to write code. But CGA allows you to write your own custom rules, and that is the fun. (at least for me it is).

You don't need to have programmed before. CGA is not a typical language - it is made for creating geometry. Rather than learning to write code, the first step is learning the basic operations available in CGA. Some basics are extrude, color, split, comp, and the roof operations (if you are making buildings). Beyond knowing what you can do with CGA, is to have shapes to apply the rules to. What type of input shapes do you have? Or will you be drawing or modeling shapes inside CityEngine? Can you explain what you are trying to do? Or is there a goal in mind?

Also, Python is not used for rules like CGA is, but is used for automating workflows, so you don't have to know anything about it.

0 Kudos