Possibilty of viewing facilities under ground?????

01-09-2012 10:48 AM
ZarehDemirdjian
New Contributor III
Hello !

Is it possible to show facilities like roads and train tunnels built under ground in 3D?

Thanks and Regards
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

it is possible to create tunnel geometries and such with the CityEngine.

though it all depends on the data which you have at hand. there may still be things which you can not do yet, but since the CityEngine is still a very young product, we're always interested in what users actually want to achieve.

let me know !
0 Kudos
qiangyu
New Contributor
Are there rules that apply to   underground pipeline or tunnel modeling? Planning?
There is a huge demand in this regard ,    like this the pictures.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11825[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11826[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11827[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11828[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hey !

thanks for the pictures, this is valuable information.

we're currently researching in which direction we'll continue the development.

some things are already possible, but e.g. for complete pipe or tunnel networks, the CityEngine is still missing some important features. but we're on this. though, it will take some time to develop such features.
0 Kudos
AleksanderStysiak1
New Contributor

Hey https://community.esri.com/migrated-users/35348  TFuchs-esristaff
Is there any development in in CE in the direction mentioned in the first post?

I am primarily interested in viewing and designing the underground facilities and infrastructure for large Urban Development projects. 

If not yet possible, are there any plans to make these things possible in CE 2017 for example?

Best 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Aleksander, 

I'm not sure, but I bet TFuchs-esristaff‌ might have an answer for you. He is at the CityEngine home office.

Chris

AleksanderStysiak1
New Contributor

Hey Chris,

thanks for the reply. I'll wait for TFuchs-esristaff‌ to answer then

best

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently in CGA one can directly query the world elevation using the scope Shape Attribute .

With this information the scope can be translated to a certain height.

This allows for exact modeling of subsurface structures like wastewater networks.

As shown in this thread https://community.esri.com/message/666944-re-detecting-terrain-intersetion-with-a-shape-to-achieve-m... the relation of the scope to the ground can be obtained by adding shapes onto the terrain. I hope in a future release there will be a simpler way to do this. For visualization the terrain can be made transparent.

CityEngine 2017 will offer new capabilities for CGA to query for collision with other models.

Since there is a wide demand for subsurface structures, there are plans to offer more CGA rule sets for such applications. Please check GeoNET for updates.

0 Kudos